Beginning Pay Range: $36.76 – $45.95 per hour
OCCU is looking for experienced Principal Developers to join our growing and high performing team! All Technology Team members are responsible for enhancing the capabilities and efficiencies of OCCU’s applications and systems portfolio. In addition, team members are expected to possess and foster a culture of ownership from problem or opportunity identification to resolution or implementation. Team members are also expected to respond to production incidents, fulfill service requests and provide support to employees with technology issues that could not be resolved by the Helpdesk. Team members may be required to provide evening and weekend on-call support.
The Principal Developer uses their skills as an accomplished professional with application of best practices and company standards for the development, implementation, integration and ongoing support of third-party solutions to the Credit Union’s internally developed software.
Location: Eugene, OR
The essential functions of this position require prioritizing and completing all assigned tasks in a timely and efficient manner, adjusting for changing priorities and availability of resources and demonstrating initiative in identifying additional job-related tasks to be completed when time permits. These duties are a representative example of position expectations. Actual duties assigned may vary and change depending on the business needs of the department and OCCU.
- Research and apply appropriate standards and best practice technologies for the creation of solutions to assist with Credit Union operations.
- Research and apply appropriate standards and best practice technologies to facilitate diverse third-party integration requirements to the Credit Union.
- Research and assist with design, development, implementation, integration and ongoing support of a redundant, highly available data infrastructure supporting the Credit Union data store.
- Research and assist with design, development, implementation, integration and ongoing support of a universal, relational data store to serve as the single source of record for Credit Union operations.
- Research and assist with integration, maintenance and support of existing database and software systems.
- Write and support processes and procedures for sustainable software development.
- Document end-to-end workflows, including points of control with third-parties that host a system of record.
- Research and assist with design, development, maintenance and support of database packages, processes, stored procedures and queries related to the extraction, transformation and loading (ETL) processes.
- Support and develop a proprietary application, potentially including user interfaces and back-end data flows.
- Work with Quality Assurance to create automated test cases and resolve defects.
- Understand and use scrum methodology, including but not limited to story writing, sprint planning, daily stand-up meetings to report progress and regular task updates.
- Understand and use ITIL approach to service management, including incident, problem and change management.
- Work with a wide array of team members such as Developers, Solutions Architects and Project Managers, etc.
- Provide support for release activities and defect resolutions (some after-hours support needed).
Functional Team Responsibilities
- Provide technical subject matter expertise on business-critical systems.
- Contribute to the development of the Credit Union’s technology strategy.
- Engage peers across any lines of business to ensure consistency and open communications.
- Follow industry standard applications development techniques and practices.
- Keep current with latest versions of database and reporting software, techniques and practices. Research new ideas in reports/database development.
- Analyze database report requests and reporting enhancements, estimating effort and delivering.
- Provide Technical Assistance to staff and backup for support calls as needed.
- Troubleshoot and resolve escalated incidents or problems at Tier 2 or 3.
- Stay up to date with product, procedure and other pertinent changes. Attend and complete training that enhances one’s ability to perform the job.
- Keep track of schedule and attend work and meetings as scheduled and on-time.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Qualified candidates for this position will have relevant education and experience necessary to perform the essential functions and meet the minimum performance expectations for this position with or without an accommodation.
Preferred qualifications for the position include:
- At least five years of practical or academic experience.
- Working knowledge of database queries, data structures and stored procedures.
- Experience with relational database development concepts as well as a functional understanding of database design.
- Experience working with applications that have large data sets and a high volume of transactions.
- Must understand concepts for performance tuning and scaling of database technologies, application and web development.
- Full-Stack development experience in current programming languages is preferred.
- Strong customer service, analytical and communication skills.
- Financial or other regulated industry knowledge is preferred.
Enrollment in (with completed database course work) or completion of four-year degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience with demonstrable practical skills.
An equivalent combination of experience and education that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills and abilities required for the position will be considered in lieu of the outlined requirements.
Physical Demands and Work Requirements:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to:
- Work for extended periods of time in a stationary position (possibly up to 60 minutes or more without an opportunity to substantially change position) while consistently grasping, moving and manipulating documents, office supplies, computer equipment and other business tools and materials.
- Use and operate a personal computer, office equipment and other technology devices frequently and consistently throughout each day with a high degree of skill, accuracy and independent judgment.
- Move to, from and within our building and across company-related property site locations as needed, possibly for extended periods of time.
- Correspond, communicate and exchange information with other employees, members and other third parties with whom we work in-person, via telephone, virtually or by other electronic means using available technology during meetings, presentations and other situations in which business information may be shared, discussed or exchanged.
- Maintain professional and respectful communication style and steady work focus to ensure reactions and responses to varied situations, stress, ambiguity, frustration, disappointment and disagreements. Set an example to others of appropriate workplace communications while contributing to a strong, harmonious team dynamic.
- Lift, transport and/or move up to approximately 25 lbs. occasionally in the performance of regular duties.
- Remain alert and able to observe surrounding areas and conditions at all times to identify, recognize and respond to potential obstacles, safety concerns, hazards, threats, property conditions requiring attention, unauthorized and/or dangerous persons and emergencies.
Work Environment: Office-related work is primarily conducted in a temperature-controlled office environment. Our office spaces include traditional office lighting (including fluorescent lighting), as well as shared office spaces and facilities that result in consistent and frequent noise (moderate and often louder than ambient noise), conversations among employees and/or members, interruptions and other similar distractions.
Work Hours: This job can typically be done within a Monday through Friday schedule; however, based on events going on there will be times when evening and weekend work is required with little or no notice.
OCCU is an Equal Opportunity Employer