National CUNA Awards
The Northwest Credit Union Association is proud to recognize those professionals, volunteers, and credit unions that have made outstanding contributions to the development and growth of the credit union movement.
Nominations for 2019 Awards are now closed.
Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award
Dora Maxwell was a pioneer in the American Credit Union Movement. In the 1920’s she served on the first Board of Directors at the New York State Credit Union League, and in 1931 helped to organize the Credit Union National Extension Bureau which later became the Credit Union National Association. In addition to organizing hundreds of credit unions, Maxwell developed volunteer credit union organizations to help improve the living standards of the poor and needy.
This award recognizes model credit union efforts to strengthen local institutions and materially improve the lives of nonmembers through community outreach programs (other than personal finance education).
- Internship program
- Charity fund raising
- Support for public events
- Donation to social service programs
- VITA or EITC assistance
- Lobbying or advocacy on behalf of K-12 financial education
- Support for teacher training
Louise Herring Philosophy-in-Action Member Service Award
Louise Herring was dubbed “the mother of credit unions” by the Ohio general assembly. She believed that the role of the credit union was to provide a means to achieve economic justice for all. Herring was an outspoken advocate for women, minorities, and the poor.
The Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Member Service Award recognizes model credit unions efforts to materially improve members’ lives through programs (other than personal finance education).
- Special loan modification program
- Wealth building or debt reduction incentive program
- Outreach to underserved population
- Student-run in-school or campus branch
- Credit union difference campaign
- Predatory lending alternative
- Support for member ESL instructions
Desjardins Youth & Adult Financial Education Awards
Besides founding the first credit unions in Canada and the U.S., Alphonse Desjardins pioneered youth savings clubs and in-school credit unions, known as caisses scolaires. The Desjardins Youth Awards were created in his honor, to recognize leadership within the Credit Union Movement on behalf of financial literacy for all ages.
The Youth Awards recognize model credit union efforts to teach personal finance concepts and skills to members and nonmembers under age 18.
- Classroom presentation series
- Credit prerequisite course
- NEFE HSFPP instruction for underserved group
- Online personal finance curriculum
- Live group budgeting simulation
- Special savers or borrowers club
- Peer to Peer financial counseling
The Adult Awards recognize model credit union efforts to teach personal finance concepts and skills to members and nonmembers age 18 or older.
- Group seminar or webinar
- Online Q&A with expert
- Instruction of underserved group
- Presentation series to SEG group
- Instruction at personal finance events
- One-on-one financial counseling or credit report review
- Regular personal finance segment in local media
If you have any questions about the National CUNA Awards, please contact Christine Ruzzi, AVP, Enterprise Engagement Resources, at 503.350.2206 or [email protected].