The Media Center is a resource for journalists covering both consumer-facing stories and financial services industry news. Access is available here to information on how cooperative credit unions benefit consumers, NWCUA news releases, recent news coverage of Association initiatives, and access to the Association’s Anthem newsletter.
What is a Credit Union?
The structure, value, and impact of credit unions sets them apart from other financial services providers.
A credit union is a not-for-profit, cooperative financial institution focused solely on its members. Credit unions provide the same services as most banks—checking accounts, ATMs, mobile banking, lending and savings accounts. Banks are profit-driven, however, and all profits are paid out to shareholders. Credit unions are member-driven, and earnings are passed onto members. This means lower fees and better loan rates for credit union members.
Anthem Newsletter & Blog
Anthem is the Northwest Credit Union Association’s newsletter. We keep up with advocacy, compliance issues, regulation, and other industry news that is important to busy credit union staff.
The latest news releases from the Association, available for download.
- Northwest Credit Union Association Releases Economic, Community Impact Report (3/25/2021)
- Oregon Credit Unions Contribute $2.8 Billion Economic Impact to State (3/25/2021)
- Idaho Credit Unions Contribute $1.2 Billion Economic Impact to State (3/25/2021)
- Washington Credit Unions Contribute Nearly $7 Billion Economic Impact to State (3/25/2021)
- Idaho Central Credit Union President and CEO, Kent Oram, Elected NWCUA Board of Directors Chairman (10/14/2020)
- Eight Oregon Credit Unions to Help State Distribute Emergency Funds (8/19/2020)
- Credit Unions Partner with State of Oregon to Help Truly Small Businesses Impacted by COVID-19 (7/20/2020)
- Washington Credit Unions and Other Financial Institutions Help 30,000 Businesses Obtain Billions in SBA Paycheck Protection Program Loans (4/24/2020)
NWCUA in the News
The Association is a go-to source for news outlets covering credit union growth, the economy, and personal finance.
- Stepping Up to Support Credit Unions Fighting the COVID Crisis (10/28/2020)
- Four Oregon Credit Unions Are Partnering With The State Of Oregon To Get Grants Into The Hands Of Small Businesses Hit Hard By COVID-19 (8/5/2020)
- NWCUA’s Troy Stang Talks to Portland’s KGW8 TV About the Latest Round of SBA Loans (4/22/2020)
- Coverage of NWCUA’s Be Smart with Your Stimulus Check (4/14/2020)
- Wall Street Journal Interviews NWCUA President and CEO Troy Stang About Credit Unions Being the Safest Place for Cash (4/14/2020)