The Media Center is a resource for journalists covering both consumer-facing stories and financial services industry news. Access is available here to information on how cooperative credit unions benefit consumers, NWCUA news releases, recent news coverage of Association initiatives, and access to the Association’s Anthem newsletter.
What is a Credit Union?
The structure, value, and impact of credit unions sets them apart from other financial services providers.
A credit union is a not-for-profit, cooperative financial institution focused solely on its members. Credit unions provide the same services as most banks—checking accounts, ATMs, mobile banking, lending and savings accounts. Banks are profit-driven, however, and all profits are paid out to shareholders. Credit unions are member-driven, and earnings are passed onto members. This means lower fees and better loan rates for credit union members.
Anthem Newsletter & Blog
Anthem is the Northwest Credit Union Association’s newsletter. We keep up with advocacy, compliance issues, regulation, and other industry news that is important to busy credit union staff.
The latest news releases from the Association, available for download.
- Credit Unions Partner with State of Oregon to Help Truly Small Businesses Impacted by COVID-19 (7/20/2020)
- Washington Credit Unions and Other Financial Institutions Help 30,000 Businesses Obtain Billions in SBA Paycheck Protection Program Loans (4/24/2020)
- Oregon Credit Unions and Other Financial Institutions Help 19,000 Businesses Obtain Billions in SBA Paycheck Protection Program Loans (4/24/2020)
- Idaho Credit Unions Stand Ready to Help More Businesses Obtain SBA Paycheck Protection Program Loans as Congress Provides Additional Funds (4/24/2020)
- Why Your Economic Impact Payment May Have Been Delayed (4/20/2020)
- Be Smart with Your Stimulus Check (4/13/2020)
- Oregon Credit Unions Continue to Step Up for Members (3/26/2020)
- Washington Credit Unions Continue to Step Up for Members (3/26/2020)
NWCUA in the News
The Association is a go-to source for news outlets covering credit union growth, the economy, and personal finance.
- Four Oregon Credit Unions Are Partnering With The State Of Oregon To Get Grants Into The Hands Of Small Businesses Hit Hard By COVID-19 (8/5/2020)
- NWCUA’s Troy Stang Talks to Portland’s KGW8 TV About the Latest Round of SBA Loans (4/22/2020)
- Coverage of NWCUA’s Be Smart with Your Stimulus Check (4/14/2020)
- Wall Street Journal Interviews NWCUA President and CEO Troy Stang About Credit Unions Being the Safest Place for Cash (4/14/2020)
- US News and World Report Asks NWCUA About Car Loan Deferrals Helping Members During COVID-19 (4/13/2020)