Senior Mortgage Underwriter – Government Loans
Rivermark Community Credit Union
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Loan Application/File Review
1. Performs complete and in-depth review mortgage loan files including income, assets, credit and collateral.
2. Utilizes the Credit Unions loan operating system to ensure accurate data entry.
3. Underwrites loans in accordance with investor guidelines including but not limited to Fannie Mae, Federal Home Loan Bank, Government Agencies (FHA/VA) Credit Union, state and federal guidelines.
4. Ensures overall loan documents are accurate, complete and compliant.
5. Reviews and approves conditions for compliance and completion of the loan file.
1. Reviews all financial documentation for accuracy and authenticity. Calculates standard income based on documentation (paystubs, W-2 Forms, personal tax returns and occasionally business tax returns).
2. Reviews acceptable levels of loan risk predicated upon the Credit Unions lending policy and underwriting guidelines.
3. Ensures that loan requests meet program and product specifications.
4. Reviews and examines appraisals to ensure that the mortgaged property is at sufficient market value to secure the loan.
5. Reviews title insurance reports to ensure appropriate coverage for the loan product and that the Credit Unions lien position is secure.
1. Ensures exceptional member service by maintaining thorough knowledge of lending programs, policies, procedures and regulatory requirements, demonstrating a commitment to professional ethics, complying with all federal and state compliance policies and adhering to HMDA requirements.
2. Utilizes Credit Union reference tools and other resources to provide accurate and up-to-date loan program and policy information to external members and internal business partners.
3. Seeks ways to streamline work processes and continuously improve the Credit Union.
4. Shares knowledge and participates in mentorship for team member development.
5. Seeks to identify opportunities for lending program enhancements within the risk tolerance established by the credit union. Supports the Mortgage Operations Manager in researching impact to portfolio through changes to program guidelines or products.
6. Support management in responding to exam and audit request with a thorough understanding of guidelines and department processes. Reviews and understands findings from Annual Portfolio Review. Seeks to mitigate risks by executing action items identified through portfolio reviews and exams.
High school diploma or equivalent. Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac and FHA or VA mortgage lending experience required, additional experience in Portfolio preferred. Â Minimum five years mortgage underwriting experience, three years with secondary market underwriting, active CHUMS or SAR preferred.
Requirements Skills, Job Knowledge & Abilities
- Must possess demonstrable knowledge of secondary marketing underwriting guidelines, including but not limited to Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Federal Home Loan Bank, FHA or VA.
- Must follow the Credit Unions written policies and procedures to ensure compliance with the Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 (SAFE Act), to include completion of the registration process, use of the unique identifier and maintenance of this registration as required.
- Well-developed skills in making sound, independent decisions.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interpret underwriting guidelines with the established risk tolerance and portfolio objectives established by Rivermark.
- Ability to function effectively as a member of a team or on individual tasks and assignments.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software. Familiarity with loan processing systems.
- Knowledge of credit union or financial institution loan procedures and compliance issues.
- Thorough knowledge of federal and state lending laws, compliance policies and HMDA requirements