Senior Mortgage Underwriter
Rivermark Community Credit Union
Contact: Rebecca Gring
Phone: (503) 906-9762
Underwrites, and performs final approval process for mortgage files by calculating income, analyzing debt and assets and completing an in-depth review of the completed appraisal and title. Utilizes deep understanding of qualification factors relevant to both first and second mortgage underwriting, and required/supporting processing conditions, to make lending decisions. Enters data into the loan operating system, utilizes automated underwriting system and manual underwriting experience to approve loans and clear underwriting conditions for final approval. Adheres to approval authority for first and second mortgage loans.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Loan Application/File Review
1. Utilizes advanced knowledge of relevant qualification factors to perform complete and in-depth review of complex mortgage loan files including income, assets, credit and collateral.
2. Utilizes the Credit Union’s loan operating system to ensure accurate data entry.
3. Underwrites first and second mortgages loans in accordance with investor guidelines including but not limited to Fannie Mae, Federal Home Loan Bank, Credit Union, state and federal guidelines.
4. Ensures overall loan documents are accurate, complete and compliant. Serves as final reviewer.
5. Reviews and approves conditions for compliance and completion of the loan file.
1. Reviews all financial documentation for accuracy and authenticity. Calculates standard income based on documentation (paystubs, W-2 Forms, personal tax returns and occasionally business tax returns).
2. Applies advanced knowledge of lending practice and underwriting guidelines to ensure acceptable levels of loan risk
3. Performs mortgage credit analysis, with or without the assistance of an automated underwriting system to determine Borrower’s willingness and ability to repay the mortgage debt.
4. Ensures that loan requests meet program and product specifications.
5. Reviews and examines appraisals to ensure that the mortgaged property is at sufficient market value to secure the loan.
6. Reviews title insurance reports to ensure appropriate coverage for the loan product and that the Credit Union’s lien position is secure.
1. Utilizes demonstrated communication and organizational skills to ensures exceptional member service. Exhibits and maintains thorough knowledge of lending programs, policies, procedures and regulatory requirements, demonstrating a commitment to professional ethics, complying with all federal and state compliance policies and adhering to HMDA requirements.
2. May occasionally be required to provide training for and mentoring to less experienced underwriting staff and newly hired Underwriters.
3. Utilizes Credit Union reference tools and other resources to provide accurate and up-to-date loan program and policy information to external members and internal business partners.
4. Seeks ways to streamline work processes and continuously improve the Credit Union.
5. Shares advanced underwriting knowledge; participates in mentorship and team member development.
6. Seeks to identify opportunities for lending program enhancements within the risk tolerance established by the credit union. Supports the Mortgage Operations Manager in researching impact to portfolio through changes to program guidelines or products.
7. Support management in responding to exam and audit request with a thorough understanding of guidelines and department processes. Reviews and understands findings from Annual Portfolio Review. Seeks to mitigate risks by executing action items identified through portfolio reviews and exams.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibility.
Frequent contact with members, employees and other financial institutions and businesses.
High school diploma or equivalent. Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac mortgage lending experience required, additional experience in Portfolio, FHA or VA preferred. Minimum five years mortgage underwriting experience, three years with secondary market underwriting.
Requirements – Skills, Job Knowledge & Abilities
- Must possess demonstrable knowledge of secondary marketing underwriting guidelines, including but not limited to Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Federal Home Loan Bank.
- Current knowledge of lending regulations, compliance, and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to underwrite complex first and second loan files and make independent lending decisions based on guidelines and standards within lending authority levels.
- Must follow the Credit Union’s written policies and procedures to ensure compliance with the Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 (SAFE Act), to include completion of the registration process, use of the unique identifier and maintenance of this registration as required.
- Well-developed skills in making sound, independent decisions.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interpret underwriting guidelines with the established risk tolerance and portfolio objectives established by Rivermark.
- Ability to function effectively as a member of a team or on individual tasks and assignments.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software. Familiarity with loan processing systems.
- Knowledge of credit union or financial institution loan procedures and compliance issues.
- Thorough knowledge of federal and state lending laws, compliance policies and HMDA requirements.
At Rivermark Community Credit Union, service to our members is at the heart of everything we do. When you join Rivermark, you join a winning team of employees whose mission is “Rivermark makes life better with incredible financial solutions anywhere, anytime.”
For over 65 years, our employees have worked to define what Rivermark is today. They are the foundation of our business, the key to continued growth and success in the future and the reason why Rivermark is a great company to work for!