SBA Underwriter/Credit Analyst
Gesa Credit Union
Take a leap and join our team!
At Gesa, we believe in the power of our people. Coming from all walks of life, our team members’ individual stories and unique experiences are our most valuable asset. But it’s how we come together, igniting our collective compassion and commitment to empowering our communities, that makes us succeed. Because we know we go further when we go together.
Here you can join a team who is passionate about serving others, has a desire to do good, and shares a deep love of people. You can engage in meaningful work that impacts your community. You can challenge yourself and grow in your career. And, you can rest assured that your wellbeing and prosperity are our priority.
Get to know us: About – Gesa Credit Union
The SBA Underwriter /Credit Analyst position is a critical function in the SBA loan origination process. This position is responsible for ensuring SBA program eligibility in concurrence with the SBA underwriting standards and guidelines. Primarily the SBA Underwriter will perform financial analysis and credit underwriting to support loan origination activities for SBA 7(a) and SBA Express loan products. Responsible for analyzing SBA credit requests and assisting with credit approval recommendations based on analysis and review. The underwriter is involved with spreading financial documents, tax returns, calculation of cash flows, and financial ratios. The underwriter will assist in the completion of loan approval packages, assisting the loan officers acquire vital documentation, and conduct quality assurance prior to the SBA loan closing.
The SBA Underwriter will also be responsible for annual reviews, as needed, perform industry risk analysis, and complete other related tasks required to support the SBA Dept.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Support loan officers in accurate assessment of SBA eligibility as outlined in the most recent SBA SOP.
- Maintain a solid understanding of SBA loan programs.
- Analyze personal and business credit data, financial statements, and tax returns with a sound understanding of financial ratio analysis.
- Request and review other information that includes accounts receivable aging reports, accounts payable aging reports, financial projections, and other related reports.
- Prepare and recommend credit packages for management and loan committee.
- Assemble, record, and maintain all credit file data in an accessible and organized manner using shared files and Gesa Credit Union underwriting and record keeping software.
- Demonstrate a general knowledge of construction loans and leasehold improvement loans.
- Assist all team members when necessary to meet the borrower expectations and department goals.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn and grow within a dynamic and challenging environment.
- Pull and review credit reports for business and personal borrowers/guarantors.
- Submit SBA related forms and documents as needed including but not limited to: Prepare and submit 4506 – C with initial review and reconciliation, submit borrower data to CAIVRS, other forms and documents as assigned in fulfillment of the SBA department goals.
- The underwriter may need to connect with the borrower to complete SBA forms 1919 and 413.
- Assist SBA Loan Processor in ordering appraisals, real estate evaluations, market research, UCC searches, environmental reports, title reports, etc in fulfillment of underwriting loan request.
- Review the credit approval document once completed by the loan officer. They will begin the initial draft and enter information into the loan origination system.
- Ensure that all credit files include proper documentation including current financial statements, agency reports, etc. Prepare letter requests for update financial statements and tax returns from borrowers/guarantors and maintain tickler system.
- Assist Loan Officers in preparing letters of interest and loan commitment letters
- Assist Loan Officers with portfolio monitoring activities including annual loan reviews and problem loan reports.
- Must understand and perform Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) functions as applicable to job responsibilities.
- Maintain awareness of state and federal laws, regulations, and Gesa’s member business lending policies and procedures.
- Maintain and protect all sensitive data applying the highest standard of confidentiality and professionalism. Consistently display respect for all areas of diversity and levels of knowledge.
- Lead areas of responsibility, perform duties and control risk in a safe and sound manner.
- Display mutual respect, trust and dignity, acting in the best interest of the Credit Union. Lead by example by displaying proven ethics and integrity at all times.
- To perform financial statement and tax return analysis and calculate basic financial ratios.
- To provide knowledgeable, professional, friendly service to all members.
- To maintain up-to-date and comprehensive knowledge of all credit union products, SBA SOP, services, policies and procedures.
- To participate in and support a team environment.
- To display respect for diversity. Treat people with respect, keep commitments, and maintain a high level of integrity.
- To effectively communicate and receive ideas and information.
- To possess and display excellent customer service attributes.
- To connect with supervisor regarding matters of account or lending concern.
- To maintain a positive and professional image through effective verbal and written communication.
What You Will Need:
- Four-year college degree or completion of a specialized course of study at a business or trade school is preferred but not required, or equivalent experience.
- One to Two years of similar or related commercial credit analysis experience preferred.
- Must be able to work under pressure and manage workflow to provide a high level of member service.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; strong analytical and research skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and team orientation.
- Proficiency with standard office equipment, MS Office and Outlook software and commercial lending platforms.
- Some travel may be required to fulfill duties, career development, and/or responsibilities.
Our Team Member Value Proposition
In exchange for bringing your talent to Gesa, here are a just a few of the benefits and perks we offer:
- Competitive Pay
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off – Plus 10 Paid Holidays!
- 401(k) Match
- Incentive Program
- Tuition Assistance and Student Loan Repayment
- Commuter Benefits
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Product discounts
- Engaging Work Environment
- Rewards and Recognition Programs
Get wise to what’s possible with a career at Gesa. Join us!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact the HR Department at (509) 378-3100 or email@example.com to request an accommodation.
Gesa Credit Union reserves the right to revise or change the job description as the need arises. This job description is not all inclusive of total job responsibilities nor does it constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Selected candidate(s) must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen which includes screening for all drugs considered illegal or controlled by the State of Washington, as well as, a credit/background check and a skills assessment.
Gesa Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strong advocate of workforce diversity. Race/Color/Gender/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Religion/National Origin/Disability/Veteran.