Program Manager, Internal Communications
Whatcom Educational Credit Union (WECU)
This is a remote position with occasional (monthly or quarterly) visits to our headquarters in Bellingham, WA.
The Program Manager, Internal Communications works to cultivate an organizational environment where employees can do meaningful work and can grow, while living out WECU’s values and behaviors in service to its mission and vision.
The primary area of responsibility of this role is ensuring internal communications are engaging and effective, use principles of “smart brevity” and storytelling, leverage the new cloud-based intranet and use a tone aligned with brand. This role also leads employee engagement initiatives to support improvements in organizational health and the overall employee experience.
The Program Manager, Internal Communications works collaboratively across the People and Culture division.
In collaboration with the CHRO, leads all internal communication efforts to ensure effective messaging in support of WECU’s mission, vision, and strategies. Example duties include, but aren’t limited to:
- Serves as the owner of the organization’s intranet site, WISE.
- Creates engaging content to support what employees want and need to know.
- Measures impact.
- Reviews communication calendars, campaigns, and cadence and along with cascading communication plans.
- Creates and distributes the Weekly Huddle.
Organizational Health, Engagement, and Alignment
The Program Manager, Internal Communications works to clarify and improve existing and new dynamics within the organization that directly influence work culture. Under the direction of the CHRO, they will work at the individual, team, and organizational level to create and support an environment which supports employee’s best work and well-being. Example duties include, but aren’t limited to:
- Leads the assessment and improvement of Employee Engagement & Satisfaction through surveys, focus groups, and coaching and developing leaders to support team action plans across the organization.
- Facilitates discussions and leads inquiries into individual, team, and organizational needs.
- Works with business unit leaders and key stakeholders to identify and implement sustainable solutions to improve local work cultures, systems and processes, and department performance.
- Assesses and supports employee recognition efforts.
- Collaborates with HR Business Partners to lead, support and/or facilitate organizational development initiatives to support business objectives and strategy implementation.
Under the direction of the CHRO, the Program Manager, Internal Communications works in collaboration with WECU’s consulting partners, L&D and HR to help individuals and teams to assess, design, and deliver programs and resources that meet their talent development needs and goals. Example duties include, but aren’t limited to:
- In alignment and support of WECU’s talent strategy assess, develop, and administer the leadership development program at WECU such as Leader to Leader and Coaching.
- Coaches department managers/directors and supervisors to develop their leadership capabilities as it relates to team leadership, engagement, and effectiveness.
- Completes mandatory BSA/AML and other required annual training via online web courses, internal or external offerings.
- Performs other duties as assigned and assists others to complete tasks and work assignments.
- Follows policy and procedures related to Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Customer Identification Program (CIP) and Customer Due Diligence (CDD) daily to ensure compliance with current regulations. Follows policy and procedures related to OFAC. Follows policy and procedures related to SARs by monitoring and reporting suspicious activity to the Compliance department.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, OD, Business, or related field. Masters preferred. Open to other degree areas given sufficient work-related experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience. At least 2 years in OD or Communications field
- Does not need to be leadership/supervisory level experience; however, needs to have experience leading communication campaigns, projects, and cultural improvement (preferably org wide).
- Must possess and demonstrate a thorough understanding of the principles and practice of effective organizational communication and organizational development.
- Ability to navigate and serve as administrator of cloud-based platform.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to organize and structure digital content.
- Excellent rapport building skills with leaders at all levels.
- Must be adept at gathering information through probing and listening and gleaning salient points from the facts presented.
- Must be able to identify group behaviors and needs and determine appropriate interventions on the spot and be skilled at working with a variety of audiences.
- Functional understanding of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to represent the credit union in a positive, professional manner internally and externally.
- Ability to maintain strict level of confidentiality and security in sensitive areas.
- Ability to operate routine office equipment.
- Flexibility and capacity to manage many responsibilities simultaneously.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to organize projects, prioritize workflow, and complete multiple tasks accurately and in a timely manner.
NOTE: Job descriptions are not intended and should not be construed to be exhausted lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with a job.
The salary range for this position is from $68,406 to $96,574 per year.
WECU provides a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision benefits with premiums for employee coverage paid in full, 401(k) retirement plan with an 8% annual contribution from WECU, bonus plan, two or more weeks of vacation, up to 11 paid holidays, paid life and disability insurance, annual wellness benefit, loan discounts, professional development, and much more.
WECU is a not-for-profit financial cooperative where members are encouraged to save and borrow responsibly at fair and competitive rates. Headquartered in Bellingham, WA, WECU has over 130,000 members and over $2.0 billion in assets.
It is WECU’s mission to make a meaningful difference in the lives of our members. We strive to treat both members and staff with honesty and integrity and to be a socially responsible part of our community. WECU also endeavors to be an employer of choice.
WECU is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We make employment decisions based on merit and qualifications and seek to have the best qualified person in every job. WECU policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, national origin, or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic characteristics or information, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.