Mortgage Banker/Broker Examiner
This position will be located in either Salem or Lake Oswego. If the successful candidate works out of Lake Oswego, they will be required to report to the Salem office at least once a week.
To protect and serve Oregon’s consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) is a progressive business regulatory state agency dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregon’s consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate. The department administers state laws and rules governing workers’ compensation, occupational safety and health, financial institutions, insurance companies and building codes. The department has consumer protection and education programs, offices, and ombudsmen to help consumers, injured workers, and businesses.
This position is with the Division of Financial Regulation (DFR). DFR’s mission supports that of the department by protecting Oregonians’ access to fair products and services through education, regulation, and consumer assistance. The division is responsible for ensuring the safety and soundness of financial institutions, the availability and affordability of financial products, and the fair treatment of consumers. Functions include licensing, regulating, and monitoring the conduct of banks, credit unions, financial services providers, health care service contractors, insurance companies, and licensed or registered agents of such entities.
This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a productive and creative environment
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
- Advancement and learning opportunities that will help grow your career with the State of Oregon
- Live, work, and play in Salem, Oregon
Here’s what you will do:
As a Mortgage Banker/Broker Examiner, you will review complex or confidential portions of applications for licensing as a mortgage banker, mortgage broker, manufactured structure dealer or loan originator, including but not limited to reviewing criminal records checks, credit reports and disclosure explanations. You will also conduct complex, detailed and risk-based examinations of mortgage lenders and manufactured structure dealers to ensure safety, soundness and compliance in overall performance in record keeping, use of and procedures for handling client funds, and client disclosure requirements of the law.
For a complete listing of the duties and responsibilities of this position, please review the position description by clicking here.
Here’s what you need to qualify:
One year of experience examining financial institutions for safety, soundness, or compliance and to judge the institutions overall performance and compliance with laws and regulations;
A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Banking, Law, or a closely-related field. Three additional years of experience in the examination of financial institutions may substitute for the Bachelor’s degree.
The training and/or experience must show a) knowledge of the scope and purpose of State financial institution regulation; b) skill evaluating the quality of an institutions assets including investments and other real estate; c) skill preparing financial statements; d) skill writing concise findings from examinations; and e) skill effectively communicating verbally and in writing with a variety of people.
- Must be able to be LEDS certified
- Ability to interpret statutes and rules
- Ability to analyze financial statements and routine reports
- Proficient in the use and operation of databases and Excel
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Self-motivated, especially involving ongoing/repetitive work
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment and decision making skills
- Experience with presenting information to diverse groups of individuals
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with others to solicit and convey information effectively
Please ensure that you clearly demonstrate in your application materials that you meet the qualifications listed and that you follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you not being considered for the job.
How to apply:
- Follow this link: https://oregon.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/SOR_External_Career_Site/job/Salem–DCBS–Labor–Industries-Building/Mortgage-Banker-Broker-Examiner–Financial-Examiner-2-_REQ-61378 . Complete all the information in the online application and complete the questionnaire. Failure to do so may result in your application being removed from consideration.
- A resume and cover letter are required for this job posting. Please attach them in the “Resume / CV” section of the application.
- Only complete applications received by the posted application deadline date will be considered.
After you apply:
- Log in to your Workday account before the job announcement closes to see if you have any pending tasks or actions, and make sure to complete these tasks or actions before the job announcement closes. These can be found under the “My Applications” section.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Please save a copy of this job announcement for your reference, as it may not be available for you to view after the job closes.
- You may be asked to submit a skills assessment, a writing sample, or a video interview as part of the application screening process.
- The successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record. Before an offer of employment, DCBS may request that you provide an official driving record.
- This position is subject to a fingerprint background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate.
- Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans’ preference. For further information, please see the following website: Veterans Resources. NOTE: If claiming veterans’ preference please be sure to check your Workday account for pending tasks or actions under your “My Applications” section.
- The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) does not offer VISA sponsorships. Within three days of hire, you will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States. DCBS will use E-Verify to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States.
Helpful links and contact information:
For more information you may contact us by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at 503-378-3200.
DCBS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion.