Member Solutions Officer
Ibew & United Workers FCU
Region: Portland, Oregon
Contact: Christine Buckley
Phone: (503) 262-5317
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Present a professional image through personal appearance, language, and written correspondence.
2. Consistently communicate the Credit Union philosophy of “people helping people” through positive approach to all member relations.
3. Perform a variety of duties including collections, repossessions, file documentation and maintenance, correspondence, charge-off account handling, small claims, judgments, garnishments, bankruptcies and recoveries.
4. Jointly reviews history of member accounts to resolve delinquency as a result of computer coding, misunderstanding of terms, or other internal factor.
5. Work independently with little supervision or effectively within a group; utilize resources for effective problem solving; following inquiry to ensure amicable result for member.
6. Train and encourage other department staff to advance their knowledge
7. Performs duties associated with the preparation and maintenance of charge-off accounts.
8. Prepares monthly board and other departmental reports.
9. Make collection calls and letters on delinquent loans and Visa accounts. Notifies cosigners, and refers first payment default loans to the originating relationship officer or Vice President for review.
10. Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements through a clear understanding of Credit Union lending policies and procedures, federal, state and local laws regarding debt collections, legal processes and bankruptcies.
11. Monitors the delinquent ratio, charge offs, allowance for loan loss, collection and legal expenses, collateral in liquidation and other factors relating to loss prevention.
12. Accountable for establishing and achieving department goals regarding delinquency, loss prevention and recovery.
13. Garnish wages, bank accounts or other applicable personal property paying close attention to detail.
14. Place liens on real estate property and transcribe judgments.
15. Fraud processing and tracking
16. Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities Required:
Reliable attendance; punctuality
Aptitude to adopt and apply new knowledge quickly
Ability to handle multiple assignments and prioritize effectively to produce efficiently
Excellent verbal communications and customer service skills necessary for telephone collection inquiries and resolution
Communication skills capable of defusing adverse conditions and creating improved member and/or staff relations
Extensive knowledge of bankruptcy and collection laws and creditor’s contractual and statutory rights and limitations
Excellent written communication skills; proficient use of grammar and demonstrated ability in business form and letter writing.
Proficient in keyboarding, word processing, and spreadsheet programs
Outstanding attention to detail
Highly developed organizational skills
Ability and willingness to learn Credit Union loan and Visa policy and procedures
Strong ability to utilize resources in research and problem solving tasks
Ability to be flexible, adaptable and multitask
Familiarity with Credit Union Compliance/ NCUA Regulations and other laws applicable to financial institutions
Minimum high school graduate, 2-4 years of college level courses preferred
Previous collection experience of at least 5 years required