Director of Legal Affairs
Washington State Treasurer
As a senior level director within the OST you will recommend actions and make decisions on complex, substantive, and procedural issues directly contributing to OST’s legal strategy and approach on matters, involving both in-house resources and those of the Attorney General’s Office (AGO), Special Assistant Attorneys General (SAAG) and other outside legal counsel as needed. You will have an opportunity to proactively identify areas of improvement within systems and processes to support closing gaps, and meeting or exceeding compliance requirements to mitigate the agency’s exposure to risks and oversee the administration of the activities and staff of the Legal Services team.
- Reviewing and negotiating legal matters in support of OST business functions.
- Providing legal counsel to the Treasurer and staff.
- Leading, supervising, and advising on issues of records management, public disclosure, procurements’, contracting, policy and procedure drafting, executive ethics, compliance, and rulemaking activities.
- Reviewing and improving the risk management framework.
- Facilitating and serving as the liaison to the outside auditors that performs all internal and external audits.
- Supervising the Legal Compliance Administrator and the Essential Services Coordinator.
- Tracking contracts, budget, and billable hours for OST legal services.
- Liaising and engaging with the Office of the Attorney General for official legal advice on matters, including litigation.
- Providing legal guidance to the Treasurer on matters relating to the Treasurer’s service on state boards and/or commissions.
What we are looking for:
We seek an ethical and decisive leader; an open and transparent communicator who welcomes, develops, and advances a diverse mix of perspectives who is also interested in and understands the parameters in which the organization operates as well as key factors that impact the organization. A candidate with an excellent display of balanced thinking that combines data-based analysis, experience, and perspective while also considering decision impacts.
Additionally, our ideal candidate will display a range of abilities similar but not limited to:
- Ability to discern involvement of appropriate staff, audiences and resources when managing key issues related to work performed within the OST.
- Ability to adapt approach and expectations accordingly.
- Ability to actively contribute to a work environment that embraces building relationships and partnerships; recognizes the value of a diverse workforce.
- Effectively conveys information using language that is appropriate to both the complexity of the topic and the knowledge and understanding of the audience.
- Ability to earn the trust, respect, and confidence of others.