Director of Internal Audit
Northwest Community Credit Union
Contact: Northwest Community Credit Union
Northwest Community Credit Union believes in providing our employees an environment where they can flourish personally and professionally. We are proud that we have never lost sight of our founders’ commitment to providing each individual, and our community, with uncommon care. Join a team with a rich heritage of serving our region for more than 60 years.
Northwest Community Credit Union has 14 locations in Oregon. The credit union serves members from offices in Albany, Bend, Cottage Grove, Eugene, Grants Pass, Medford, North Bend, Oregon City, Portland, Roseburg and Springfield.
Come join our team and flourish:
• Dedicated focus on employee personal and professional development
• Fun and rewarding work environment
• Generous benefits package for employees and dependents
• Company paid Life, AD&D, and Long-Term Disability insurance
• Paid Time Off (PTO)
• Paid Protected Leave for up to 12 weeks
• 401(k) with up to 7.5% company match
• Company paid continuing education
• Tuition assistance
• And much more!
Position Primary Purpose:
Responsible for evaluating the adequacy and functioning of the credit union’s risk management, control and governance processes. Ensures that risks are appropriately identified and managed; significant financial, managerial and operational information is accurate, reliable and timely.
• Evaluates and assesses significant merging/consolidation functions, and new or changing services, processes, operations, and control processes coincident with their development, implementation and or/expansion.
• Conducts audits and investigations of all financial records, operations, activities and affairs of the Credit Union with independence and objectivity.
• Reviews established systems to ensure compliance with policies, plans, procedures, laws and regulations that could have a significant impact on operations and reports.
• Identifies controls and process weaknesses, document main control points and provide evidential support for report recommendation. Ensures regulation and significant legislative or regulatory issues that impact the organization are recognized and addressed properly.
• Provides guidance and mentoring to staff by providing direction and coaching; impart specialized skills and or knowledge to other audit officers through peer discussions and cooperation on cross-functional audits, coaching and performance management.
• Ensures quality and continuous improvement are fostered in the organization’s control process and employees’ actions comply with policies, standards, procedures and applicable laws.
• Assesses audit findings, assists in the preparation of concise and informative audit report, and effectively communicates the findings and recommendations to the branch/department and ELT.
• Assists in the identification and assessment of organizational risks and make recommendations as appropriate to reduce or eliminate such risk.
• Advises management as to the effectiveness and efficiency of organizational activities and controls.
• Provide annual assessment on the adequacy and effectiveness of the organizations processes for controlling its activities and managing its risks.
• Prepares/reviews reports for management providing concise and accurate information on the condition of the unit, adequacy of operations/processes and conditions of portfolios.
• Provides a summary report to the Supervisory Committee and Audit Committee on audit findings and any significant risks or breakdown in the control structure of the credit union.
• Develops and presents an Annual Audit Plan using appropriate risk-based methodology, including any risks or control concerns identified by Management and submit that plan to the Supervisory committee for review and approval.
• Implements the approved Audit Plan including any special tasks or projects requested by the Executive Leadership Team (ELT), Supervisory Committee or the Audit Committee.
• All other duties as assigned.
Interested in Applying? Apply here.
A minimum of 10 years’ experience in an auditor role, performing audits and managing audit engagements. Must have a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a credit union, banking environment, or related financial institution. Previous roles must show a progression of increasing responsibility with a minimum of five (5) years in a management/leadership role with responsibility for creating functional strategies and specific objectives for the department.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field required. Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), or other related professional certifications may preferred.
• Comprehensive knowledge of a bank or credit unions’ structures, enterprise risk management, internal controls, processes, procedures, products and services.
• Current up to date knowledge of regulatory/compliance requirements and a commitment to maintain knowledge of accounting and auditing rules and compliance regulations.
• Ability to effectively manage conflict and adversarial situations, while maintaining the highest level of confidentiality and discretion.
• Demonstrated ability to think “outside the box” and apply creative and constructive thinking to propose recommendations for improvements to internal processes control, procedures and policies.
• Provide initiative, autonomy, adaptability, maturity and sound judgment.
• Demonstrated excellent analytical skills in proposing well-founded conclusions.
• Ability to prioritize work assignments and organize work schedules to meet deadlines.
• Ability to coordinate and work on a number of unrelated functions and projects simultaneously.
• Ability to complete tasks with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
• Ability to maintain a positive and professional image through effective verbal communication.
• Demonstrated technical writing skills sufficient to prepare material involving interpretation, analysis, assessment and reports.
• Demonstrated compliance to the Professional code of Ethics and standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing according to the Institute of Internal auditors.