Compliance and Risk Specialist
OCCU is here to enrich lives. We do this by hiring tenacious, humble and big-hearted individuals who are driven to work hard, contribute to an outstanding member experience, support their community through volunteering and advocating for community needs, and are dedicated to their own individual growth and development. We offer a competitive wage, benefit and retirement package along with opportunities to develop your career in our growing credit union. Individuals who thrive on problem-solving, making a difference and working for a company that provides more than just a job and are motivated by what OCCU has to offer, are invited to apply today!
OCCU is looking a Compliance and Risk Specialist to join our high performing team. This Specialist provides support to the organization and Compliance and Risk to ensure proper internal controls are in place, rules and regulations are adhered to, and departmental and credit union goals are met.
Location: Eugene, OR
Beginning Pay Range: $21.03 – $26.29 per hour
The essential functions of this position require prioritizing and completing all assigned tasks in a timely and efficient manner, adjusting for changing priorities and availability of resources and demonstrating initiative in identifying additional job-related tasks to be completed when time permits. These duties are a representative example of position expectations. Actual duties assigned may vary and change depending on the business needs of the department and OCCU.
- Assist with the credit union’s Member Complaint System, including risk rating submitted complaints, management assignment for remediation and response, training and awareness, and dashboard report development to ensure monitoring and reporting is in place to meet regulatory requirements and member needs.
- Maintain credentialing in multiple systems as directed, including the setup, modification and termination of employee access. Perform regular audits to ensure appropriate employee access/privileges per job classification and to ensure access doesn’t become stale or outdated.
- Facilitate Quality Assurance Program. Review loan and data integrity error reports, loan modifications, mortgage loan application status and appropriate Adverse Action compliance, address changes, employee loans, and the employee credit card program. Identify and recommend process improvements and/or build automated solutions.
- Assist with compliance of HMDA. Responsible for accurate and timely data collection/data integrity as it relates to HMDA processes, including keeping up to date on regulatory changes necessary to comply with HMDA data collection, recommend error resolution strategies, act as the HMDA liaison for auditors/examiners and other business units, as appropriate, perform verification reviews of HMDA data for appropriate fields/codes prior to submitting reports and submitting required reports on a timely basis. Assist in updating HMDA procedures and policies as warranted.
- Perform escheatment and inactive/dormant activities related to share accounts, safe deposit boxes and cashier’s checks, including due diligence and appropriate member outreach to ensure deadlines are properly met with Unclaimed Property rules.
- Assist with Corporate Insurance maintenance, such as submitting claims or updating coverage as directed.
- Assist with tax management preparation and organization to ensure tax notices are delivered to the IRS/state and members timely, including member tax inquiry research and member service when applicable.
- Track employees certified in the credit union’s Signature Guarantee Program.
- Maintain policies and guidelines related to file maintenance reviews, including payment changes, address changes, interest rate changes and other system reports.
- Respond to Audit/Examination requests, pre-and post-work, including independent verification and reporting, as directed.
- Assist with Supervisory Committee material preparation, organization and dissemination.
- Respond to service requests such as letter templates.
- Perform Compliance and Risk vendor management related activities, including collecting due diligence documentation, when applicable.
- Report any issues to the Compliance and Risk Manager for immediate remediation and resolution strategies.
- Participate and support credit union projects, implementation, credit union goals and other Compliance and Risk initiatives.
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities to current Compliance and Risk practices.
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality regarding sensitive, confidential and proprietary credit union information.
- Work independently with minimal supervision to establish priorities, activities and meet deadlines. Manage multiple and overlapping projects with dependencies.
- Conduct thorough research, interpret and understand laws and regulations, and provide workable recommendations and solutions to problems.
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication.
- Utilize excellent writing and analytical skills, including the ability to mine large amounts of data with attention to detail.
- Knowledgeable of all financial industry compliance and credit union regulations. Attend applicable trainings/seminars, as necessary.
- Must follow all required regulations, as well as complete all applicable training.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Qualified candidates for this position will have relevant education and experience necessary to perform the essential functions and meet the minimum performance expectations for this position with or without an accommodation.
Preferred qualifications for the position include:
- Three years of experience in financial services.
- Experience with Compliance/Risk tasks, HMDA or related field preferred.
High school education required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Willing to obtain and maintain applicable certifications or training while in the position.
An equivalent combination of experience and education that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills and abilities required for the position will be considered in lieu of the outlined requirements.
Physical Demands and Work Requirements:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to:
- Work for extended periods of time in a stationary position (possibly up to 60 minutes or more without an opportunity to substantially change position) while consistently grasping, moving and manipulating documents, office supplies, computer equipment and other business tools and materials.
- Use and operate a personal computer, office equipment and other technology devices frequently and consistently throughout each day with a high degree of skill, accuracy and independent judgment.
- Move to, from and within our building and across company-related property site locations as needed, possibly for extended periods of time.
- Correspond, communicate and exchange information with other employees, members and other third parties with whom we work in-person, via telephone, virtually or by other electronic means using available technology during meetings, presentations and other situations in which business information may be shared, discussed or exchanged.
- Maintain professional and respectful communication style and steady work focus to ensure reactions and responses to varied situations, stress, ambiguity, frustration, disappointment and disagreements. Set an example to others of appropriate workplace communications while contributing to a strong, harmonious team dynamic.
- Lift, transport and/or move up to approximately 25 lbs. occasionally in the performance of regular duties.
- Remain alert and able to observe surrounding areas and conditions at all times to identify, recognize and respond to potential obstacles, safety concerns, hazards, threats, property conditions requiring attention, unauthorized and/or dangerous persons and emergencies.
Work Environment: Office-related work is primarily conducted in a temperature-controlled office environment. Our office spaces include traditional office lighting (including fluorescent lighting), as well as shared office spaces and facilities that result in consistent and frequent noise (moderate and often louder than ambient noise), conversations among employees and/or members, interruptions and other similar distractions.
Work Hours: This job can typically be done within a Monday through Saturday schedule; however, based on events going on there will be times when evening and weekend work is required with little or no notice.
OCCU is an Equal Opportunity Employer