OCCU is here to enrich lives. We do this by hiring tenacious, humble and big-hearted individuals who are driven to work hard, contribute to an outstanding member experience, support their community through volunteering and advocating for community needs, and are dedicated to their own individual growth and development. We offer a competitive wage, benefit and retirement package along with opportunities to develop your career in our growing credit union. Individuals who thrive on problem-solving, making a difference and working for a company that provides more than just a job and are motivated by what OCCU has to offer, are invited to apply today!
OCCU is looking for an experienced Collector II to join our high performing team. The Collector II is responsible for partnering with members with humility, bigheartedness, active listening and critical thinking to resolve account delinquencies. Protects and preserves credit union assets and relationships by establishing payment plans, collecting loan payments and/or recovering collateral while promoting a positive member experience.
OCCU offers additional compensation for bilingual Spanish speaking employees in the Collector position. Those who meet the criteria receive $1.00 per hour paid in addition to their regular wage, and $1.50 per overtime hour paid. To be eligible, an employee must pass a standardized language test, assist Spanish speaking members and be added to a designated call list to assist members remotely.
Location: Eugene, OR
Beginning Pay Range: $18.31 – $22.89 per hour
To find out more about OCCU career opportunities, visit us at: https://www.myoccu.org/current-career-opportunities.
If you want to apply directly to this opportunity, click here: https://myoccu.clearcompany.com/careers/jobs/1b263b6a-71e5-68ec-532a-147617754527/apply?source=1612249-CS-22573
The essential functions of this position require prioritizing and completing all assigned tasks in a timely and efficient manner, adjusting for changing priorities and availability of resources and demonstrating initiative in identifying additional job-related tasks to be completed when time permits. These duties are a representative example of position expectations. Actual duties assigned may vary and change depending on the business needs of the department and OCCU.
- Contact members with delinquent accounts to determine the reasons for delinquency and assist members in developing plans to bring accounts to a current status.
- Maintain exceptional member service throughout each interaction while assisting in identifying and executing solutions for members.
- Manage a high volume of both outbound and inbound calls.
- Prepare files for recovery of collateral and submit files to management for voluntary or involuntary repossession approval.
- Note collection activity on accounts in the collection system and MISER if needed
- Provide support for team members, branch staff, supervisors and managers.
- Assist members with guaranteed asset protection (GAP) and debt protection claims.
- Resolve overdrawn account and operation losses.
- Employ attention to detail, problem solving, critical thinking, active listening and communication skills.
- Have knowledge in several areas including: bankruptcy, collateral protection insurance (CPI), titles, credit reporting, GAP, Mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI), debt protection, repossessions, account/loan maintenance, deceased member accounts, straw loans and automated clearing house (ACH) setup.
- Stay current with product, procedure and other pertinent changes. Attend and complete training that enhances one’s ability to perform their job.
- Help coach and train new staff.
- Know how to skip trace proficiently.
- Must meet minimum production standards.
- Adhere to the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.
- Must follow all BSA regulations, including completing CTR reports when applicable, reporting suspicious activity via SAR when applicable and completing annual training.
Qualified candidates for this position will have relevant education and experience necessary to perform the essential functions and meet the minimum performance expectations for this position with or without an accommodation.
Preferred qualifications for the position include:
Two years to four years of collection or related experience.
High school diploma, GED or equivalent is required.
An equivalent combination of experience and education that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills and abilities required for the position will be considered in lieu of the outlined requirements.
Physical Demands and Work Requirements:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to:
- Work for extended periods of time in a stationary position (possibly up to 60 minutes or more without an opportunity to substantially change position) while consistently grasping, moving and manipulating documents, office supplies, computer equipment and other business tools and materials.
- Use and operate a personal computer, office equipment and other technology devices frequently and consistently throughout each day with a high degree of skill, accuracy and independent judgment.
- Move to, from and within our building and across company-related property site locations as needed, possibly for extended periods of time.
- Correspond, communicate and exchange information with other employees, members and other third parties with whom we work in-person, via telephone, virtually or by other electronic means using available technology during meetings, presentations and other situations in which business information may be shared, discussed or exchanged.
- Maintain professional and respectful communication style and steady work focus to ensure reactions and responses to varied situations, stress, ambiguity, frustration, disappointment and disagreements. Set an example to others of appropriate workplace communications while contributing to a strong, harmonious team dynamic.
- Lift, transport and/or move up to approximately 25 lbs. occasionally in the performance of regular duties.
- Remain alert and able to observe surrounding areas and conditions at all times to identify, recognize and respond to potential obstacles, safety concerns, hazards, threats, property conditions requiring attention, unauthorized and/or dangerous persons and emergencies.
Work Environment: Office-related work is primarily conducted in a temperature-controlled office environment. Our office spaces include traditional office lighting (including fluorescent lighting), as well as shared office spaces and facilities that result in consistent and frequent noise (moderate and often louder than ambient noise), conversations among employees and/or members, interruptions and other similar distractions.
Work Hours: This job can typically be done within a Monday through Saturday schedule; however, based on events going on there will be times when evening and weekend work is required with little or no notice.
OCCU is an Equal Opportunity Employer