Collections Manager/Team Leader
Gesa Credit Union
Take a leap and join our team!
At Gesa, we believe in the power of our people. Coming from all walks of life, our team members’ individual stories and unique experiences are our most valuable asset. But it’s how we come together, igniting our collective compassion and commitment to empowering our communities, that makes us succeed. Because we know we go further when we go together.
Here you can join a team who is enthusiastic about serving others, has a desire to do good, and shares a deep love of people. You can engage in meaningful work that impacts your community. You can challenge yourself and grow in your career. And, you can rest assured that your wellbeing and prosperity are our priority.
Get to know us: www.gesa.com/aboutus
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President and Manager of Collections, the Collections Manager/Team Leader preserves the credit union assets by controlling delinquent accounts, collecting delinquent loan payments, recovering collateral, and disposing of repossessed collateral. Lead department personnel-related issues including participation in the hiring process, scheduling, mentor, monitoring, performance evaluations and correcting performance or behavior deviations applying the progressive discipline process.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Lead, empower and provide direction to the credit union’s Collections Team. This includes coaching, mentoring and evaluating the performance and behavior of individual collectors; monitoring and managing the productivity, efficiency and effectiveness of the credit union’s collection function; and establishing and maintaining clear and productive lines of communication with all partners.
- Serve as the Debit and Credit Card product owner and strategic inspiring leader of the credit union’s card program. This includes working with all levels of staff to proactively generate new insights and tactics, drive program changes and ensure that credit union card offerings are best in class.
- Maintain an up-to-date and extensive knowledge of all credit union products, services, policies and procedures, as well as industry regulations.
- Ensure all collection activity is legal and follows credit union policy. Keep management advised of operational issues affecting the credit union’s collection activities. Provide monthly (or as requested) reports which reflect all collection activities.
- Analyze the financial situation of delinquent borrowers; make recommendations to repossess collateral when other arrangements to bring the loan current are unsuccessful.
- Lead all aspects of the liquidation process of repossessed collateral, always working to ensure the highest possible return to the credit union. Determine if additional investment should be made in collateral to improve return. Recommend charge-offs to senior management.
- Testify at legal proceedings as required.
- Review collectors’ work queues to monitor and measure performance.
- Advise management of trends in loan underwriting contributing to delinquent/charged-off loans.
- Must understand and perform Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) functions as applicable to job responsibilities.
- Attend credit union training sessions, conferences and seminars as approved by supervisor. Maintain awareness policies and regulations related to duties and responsibilities.
- Conduct regular staff meetings and one-on-one meetings with individual team members.
- Manage bankruptcies, foreclosures, and liquidation of collateral on all delinquent accounts assigned.
- Maintain a cohesive, highly trained, and motivated staff sufficient to meet daily department goals and demands.
- Perform personnel-related staffing, scheduling, training, and performance evaluation of all assigned staff. Adhere to the progressive discipline process and respond to performance or behavior deficiencies promptly.
- Maintain an expert level of understanding of Collection technology and systems. Provide support to Information Technology and Project Management on technology system upgrades, testing and other credit union initiatives.
- Develop recommendations for cost efficiencies, process improvements, pricing and enhancements to products by monitoring trends in loan performance.
- Maintain a diligent record of attendance and timeliness.
- Maintain and protect all sensitive data utilizing the highest standard of confidentiality and professionalism. Consistently display respect for all areas of diversity and levels of knowledge.
- Display leadership values which include mutual respect, honesty, trust, and dignity. Act in the best interest of the credit union; lead by example by displaying solid ethics and integrity at all times. Control risk and lead operations in a safe and sound manner.
- Work closely with the Collections Temenos Administrator and all management personnel in the credit union to ensure a collaborative effort.
- Self-motivated and able to organize, prioritize and manage multiple complex tasks.
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate ideas and information, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain thorough knowledge of collection and credit union programs, products and services.
- Ability to solve problems and exercise sound judgment when performing duties and working with members.
- Ability to analyze information and recommend achievable process improvements to the Executive Team.
- Ability to advise, train, lead and empower assigned staff to complete all tasks assigned accurately and within time prescribed.
- Four year college degree or completion of a specialized course of study at a business or trade school in the area of collections; additional related experience may be recognized as an equivalency to education requirements.
- Five to eight years of similar or related experience. Financial Institution collection experience desired.
- Experience leading, directing, training, and motivating assigned staff.
- Travel is required to complete training, fulfill duties and/or perform responsibilities.
- A valid Driver’s License is required.
- Must consistently display and maintain courtesy, tact, and diplomacy with current and potential members, peers, and staff.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, software, and standard office equipment. Experience with Temenos or similar collection system desired. Experience with DNA desired.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of credit union services and products preferred.
Our Team Member Value Proposition:
In exchange for bringing your talent to Gesa, here are a just a few of the benefits and perks we offer:
- Competitive Pay
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off – Plus 10 Paid Holidays!
- 401(k) Match
- Incentive Program
- Tuition Assistance and Student Loan Repayment
- Commuter Benefits
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Product discounts
- Engaging Work Environment
- Rewards and Recognition Programs
Get wise to what’s possible with a career at Gesa. Join us!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact the HR Department at (509) 378-3100 or email@example.com to request an accommodation.
Gesa Credit Union reserves the right to revise or change the job description as the need arises. This job description is not all inclusive of total job responsibilities nor does it constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Selected candidate(s) must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen which includes screening for all drugs considered illegal or controlled by the State of Washington, as well as, a credit/background check and a skills assessment.
Gesa Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strong advocate of workforce diversity. Race/Color/Gender/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Religion/National Origin/Disability/Veteran.