BSA Compliance Specialist
Gesa Credit Union
Take a leap and join our team!
At Gesa, we believe in the power of our people. Coming from all walks of life, our team members’ individual stories and unique experiences are our most valuable asset. But it’s how we come together, igniting our collective compassion and commitment to empowering our communities, that makes us succeed. Because we know we go further when we go together.
Here you can join a team who is passionate about serving others, has a desire to do good, and shares a deep love of people. You can engage in meaningful work that impacts your community. You can challenge yourself and grow in your career. And, you can rest assured that your wellbeing and prosperity are our priority.
Get to know us: About – Gesa Credit Union
The BSA Compliance Specialist is responsible for supervising and assessing adherence to all local, state and federal regulations, focusing on the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), USA Patriot Act, Red Flags, money laundering, and the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC). A strong emphasis is within account investigations and Suspicious Activity Reporting (SAR), including preparation of written reviews and filing of SARs in accordance with regulation and time limitations. Additionally, this position assists the team leader with developing policies and procedures to ensure activities conducted are in compliance with local and federal laws, rules, regulations, and industry standard methodologies. The position requires the reviews of new business accounts to include sophisticated structures, may audit data changes and other reports as requested and assists the team leader in developing solutions to a variety of problems.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Stay on top of changes in applicable state and federal laws, regulations and rules. Alerts the Compliance Team Leader of all changes and the potential impact to the Credit Union.
- Assist Compliance Team Leader with developing policies and procedures to ensure activities are conducted in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and rules.
- Perform a variety of routine daily tasks; review reports and prepare correspondence. Use information systems as they relate to the needs, requirements and issues pertaining to regulatory compliance reporting in areas assigned including BSA/AML software. Supervise compliance, activities and reports with respect to areas of assigned responsibilities.
- Analyze account activity and prepare required regulatory reports accurately, e.g. CTR and SAR reports in compliance with reporting timelines and reporting thresholds.
- Evaluate new business accounts, their risk level, the nature of the business, and supervise the accounts activities.
- Prepare and perform administrative support as vital for completion of assigned tasks.
- Perform all duties and maintain all critical data with the highest standard of confidentiality and integrity. Consistently display respect for all areas of diversity and levels of knowledge.
- Maintain a continuous study of applicable State and Federal laws to tasks assigned.
- Must understand and perform Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) functions as applicable to job responsibilities.
- Maintain awareness of policies and regulations related to duties and responsibilities. Acquire and maintain required certifications.
- Keep supervisor informed of key operating issues affecting areas of responsibility.
- Display leadership values such as mutual respect, trust, honesty and dignity, and act in the best interest of the credit union. Lead by example by displaying proven ethics and integrity at all times.
- Control risk and operate in a safe and sound manner.
- Act as a BSA compliance resource for the Credit Union.
- Assist AVP of Internal Audit with compliance audits and examinations as needed.
- Assist with the training of credit union staff as appropriate and be a resource to frontline staff in an effort to provide exceptional service to the members served.
- Perform ongoing support to the compliance team as needed by capturing records, information, and preparing written descriptions of events that pertain to the documentation of investigations and all aspects of compliance as appropriate.
- Understanding of methodologies for researching and analyzing compliance issues in an independent manner.
- Strong written communication skills to describe complex situations and/or activities to prepare and complete a quality and timely Suspicious Activity Report narrative.
- Strong ability to read, analyze, and interpret a variety of regulations, laws, and technical procedures.
- Ability to balance priorities and complete tasks timely in a deadline sensitive environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and partnership skills. Excellent listening skills and customer service attributes.
- Proficient in computer applications, reporting, and file/data systems, various forms of technology, including transaction processing systems, and case management applications. Research and analytical resources, and MS Office products or similar software.
- Problem-solving skills, process improvement know-how, and ability to project ideas.
- Understanding of reporting requirements of various regulatory agencies.
- Understand money laundering and analyze account activity in light of potential illegal AML activity. Construct thorough and logical written analysis of account activity.
What You Will Need:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Three to five years of similar or related experience.
- Bank Secrecy Compliance Specialist (BSACS) is required within 12 months.
- Knowledge of concepts, practices and compliance techniques for AML activity and for the credit union industry.
- Ability to understand complex legal and regulatory issues and laws.
- Understanding of reporting requirements of regulatory agencies relevant to assigned tasks.
- Good communication skills both written and oral. Courtesy, tact and diplomacy to be exercised while giving or obtaining information, building relationships, or dealing with staff and members.
- Some travel required to complete credit union training, or approved professional training.
Our Team Member Value Proposition
In exchange for bringing your talent to Gesa, here are a just a few of the benefits and perks we offer:
- Competitive Pay
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off – Plus 10 Paid Holidays!
- 401(k) Match
- Incentive Program
- Tuition Assistance and Student Loan Repayment
- Commuter Benefits
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Product discounts
- Engaging Work Environment
- Rewards and Recognition Programs
Get wise to what’s possible with a career at Gesa. Join us!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact the HR Department at (509) 378-3100 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation.
Gesa Credit Union reserves the right to revise or change the job description as the need arises. This job description is not all inclusive of total job responsibilities nor does it constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Selected candidate(s) must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen which includes screening for all drugs considered illegal or controlled by the State of Washington, as well as, a credit/background check and a skills assessment.
Gesa Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strong advocate of workforce diversity. Race/Color/Gender/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Religion/National Origin/Disability/Veteran.