Verity Credit Union
Region: Seattle, WA
Contact: Lauren Ploskey
We are hiring an Accountant III, our most senior level accountant role. This position performs accounting functions requiring interpretation and analysis. This position is responsible for complex accounting transactions and for a variety of internal and external reporting. The Accountant III is a resource for junior accounting personnel and is expected to assist in developing and mentoring staff. Our ideal candidates are highly collaborative, service-focused, detail-oriented, and deliver high quality results.
Who We Are. . .
Verity has been a local member-owned credit union offering a full range of financial products and services to our members since 1933. Verity means truth—and this guides our actions. Honesty may not be the easiest approach, but it is the right one.
We take pride in our work. Our mission and vision guide our daily activities, and we need motivated individuals to lead our success. Verity is committed to being a top employer in Washington. We are honored to be a National 101 Best & Brightest Company for the third year in a row and one of Seattle Business Magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” over the years.
We Believe. . .
- Trust is earned each day.
- Learning is lifelong; it never stops.
- People come first, before the bottom line.
- Community engagement propels us forward.
- Teamwork is the foundation of our success.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The Accountant III is responsible for following monthly duties including, but not limited to:
- Primary for timely completion of monthly internal financial reports
- Primary for timely completion of quarterly call reports
- Backup for payroll, and audits bi-weekly payroll entries to ensure accuracy
- Maintains month-end journal entries, accruals and financial schedules
- Verify that CUHMS month-end transactions are developed and entered, including CUHMS/Verity intracompany transactions
- Reconciles certain general ledger accounts
- File a variety of external reports to tax and regulatory agencies
- Assists the Accounting Manager and CFO in proactively managing cash balances to ensure the greatest employment of financial assets, while maintaining adequate liquidity to meet current obligations
- Acts as backup for the Accounting Manager and performs other duties as assigned
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to write, use and understand sophisticated spreadsheet functions.
- Ability to learn and use new computer software with limited training and supervision.
- Ability to learn and apply complex financial concepts relating to bonds and mortgages.
- Independent self-starter who seeks work and learning opportunities.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Detail oriented and good organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to present a positive and professional image to the Credit Union’s employees, members and visitors.
- Ability to organize and prioritize to meet work deadlines.
- Knowledge of GAAP.
Verity Credit Union is committed to working with its employees to reasonably accommodate them with the physical aspects of the position. The following is a list of physical considerations that are normally encountered in this job:
- Position requires the ability to communicate efficiently and effectively with a diverse staff and group of vendors.
- Position requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Position requires the ability to work on computers for a long period of time in an office environment.
- Position requires the ability to visually recognize, reconcile, and verify numerical details for accuracy.
- Ability to lift 20 pounds.
Education and Experience
- A four-year degree in Accounting, Finance or Business is preferred.
- A four-year degree in another discipline, and/or relevant work experience may be substituted.
Washington is an At-Will Employment State
Your employment is “at will”, meaning you are free to resign at any time, for any reason, with or without notice. Verity Credit Union is also free to conclude the employment relationship with you at any time, for any reason, with or without notice.
No statement or promise by a credit union representative or board member may be interpreted as a change in the “at will” policy, nor would it constitute an employment or other contractual agreement.