Credit Unions Will Unite on June 8 to Give Back: Development Educators Day of Service
May 31, 2022
Giving back is an important part of credit unions’ “People Helping People” mission. Some might see credit unions solely as financial services providers, but they are a rallying force for education, philanthropy, and the holistic development of their communities.
This important work will be on full display during the upcoming annual DE Day of Service. On June 8, Credit Union Development Educators (CUDEs) will lead the entire Credit Union Movement in transforming their training into community service action throughout the world.
In past years, projects have included bringing aid to populations facing food insecurity, fundraising to relieve young adult homelessness, and organizing local nonprofits to speak out on diversity, equity, and inclusion best practices.
How You Can Get Involved
A group of Northwest CUDEs have put together the following list of resources and ideas on how to pitch in for the 2022 DE Day of Service. As Aesop once said, “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”
- Find local volunteer opportunities
- Oregon Food Bank
- Global Volunteer Network – Points of Light
- Nine places to volunteer online
- World Central Kitchen
Volunteering in the Local Community
- Volunteer at the local library.
- Volunteer with a local nonprofit – find a list of nonprofits near you by visiting Great Nonprofits.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter.
- Volunteer at a human & civil rights organization; find an organization by visiting Network For Good.
- Perform trail maintenance at a popular nature preserve.
- Join a beach or street cleanup.
- Donate blood or plasma.
- Collect canned goods for food pantries.
- Pay for someone in line behind you at the store.
- Teach financial education at the local senior center, high school, or community center.
Consider actions that support making a difference around the 12 Credit Union Development Issues (health, housing, hunger, access to credit, transportation, diversity & equity, etc.). There are countless organizations and ideas to choose from, but ultimately the goal is to strengthen and empower your communities.
Share Your DE Day of Service Activities on Social Media
Planning something special for this year’s DE Day of Service? We’d love to hear about it and share your great work far and wide. Use the hashtag #DEDayofService and tag the Northwest Credit Union Association @NWCUA.