Northwest Credit Unions Recognized with Regional CUNA Awards
September 21, 2021
Credit unions are always putting action behind the mantra of “People Helping People.”
These dedicated not-for-profit cooperatives work side-by-side in their communities, serving people — their members and others — throughout the year, offering help and hope whenever and wherever needed. That help was particularly needed during this past year.
It’s in that spirit that four Northwest credit unions have won regional CUNA awards for demonstrating excellence in the areas of member service, community impact, and financial education.
With Sept. 20 being the birthday of Louise Herring — one of the most prolific pioneers of the Credit Union Movement and inspiration for one of the award categories — it’s the perfect time to shine a light on these winners and their incredible achievements.
“We’re so proud to be affiliated with credit unions that recognize the value of doing the work to improve their communities and their members’ lives,” said Christine Ruzzi, NWCUA AVP, Enterprise Engagement. “Congratulations to this year’s winners!”
Alphonse Desjardins Youth and Adult Financial Education Awards
This award honors leadership within the Credit Union Movement on behalf of youth and adult financial literacy.
- Clackamas Federal Credit Union, Milwaukie, Oregon — For offering 102 money management classes to more than 500 adults and 1,200 youth in Clackamas County. The credit union developed new community partnerships to expand its reach and quickly adapted programming to a virtual setting amid COVID-19.
- Gesa Credit Union, Richland, Washington — For providing financial education to more than 3,000 students in 2020. The credit union hosted a variety of webinars, partnered with Junior Achievement, and launched a month-long Financial Literacy Challenge. It also held to its commitment of providing real-world work experience to students throughout its 12 campus branches.
- SnoCope Credit Union, Everett, Washington — For providing over 3,000 community members with virtual financial wellness seminars. The credit union collaborated with local employer groups in Snohomish County to determine topics of value, including preparing for retirement and Social Security planning.
Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Awards
These awards honor credit unions for community impact programs.
- Clackamas Federal Credit Union, Milwaukie, Oregon — For Clackamas staff contributing 486 volunteer hours to buy, organize, pick up, and deliver food boxes to people in their community. Additionally, the credit union was recognized for donating more than $69,000 to local organizations that fight food and housing insecurity.
- Kitsap Credit Union, Bremerton, Washington — For its year-long program Feed Our Community that resulted in $216,300 in donations. The program contributed to 25 organizations throughout the year that support children, adults, seniors, veterans, disabled individuals, and more.
Louise Herring Philosophy-in-Action Member Service Awards
The Louise Herring Award recognizes credit union efforts to improve members’ lives through outreach programs.
- Kitsap Credit Union, Bremerton, Washington — For funding more than $17 million in PPP loans, saving 2,084 jobs in the community, and for developing an enhanced Skip a Pay program, which provided significant payment relief for 5,074 struggling borrowers.
The 2021 Regional CUNA award winners will also be recognized during the Summit Awards Dinner & Gala, Oct. 7, at MAXX 2021 in Boise.
Have a question or comment about this story? Email us!