NWCUA Honors Credit Unions and Individuals During MAXX 2018 Awards Gala
Advantis Credit Union’s Bob Corwin wins Lifetime Achievement Award.
A packed house celebrated the achievements of Northwest credit unions on the night of Oct. 18, during the Northwest Credit Union Association’s MAXX 2018 Awards Gala in Tacoma, Wash.
The awards celebrate credit union teams and individuals for their accomplishments in advocacy, community impact, innovation, and leadership.
Bob Corwin, President and CEO of Milwaukie, Oregon-based Advantis Credit Union was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award and surprised by his family, who joined him on stage. He was recognized for outstanding leadership in the areas of social responsibility, credit union philosophy, advocacy, and community impact.
“This is truly overwhelming. I truly am humbled by receiving this,” Corwin said. “I started in 1977 in something I thought was going to be a temporary job, but I got swept up. There are many people in this room as deserving or more deserving than I am.”
In recognizing Corwin, NWCUA President and CEO Troy Stang said, “In his four decades of service to the Credit Union Movement, Bob has established an impressive record of accomplishment. We’re pleased that he plans to continue leading, innovating, and serving well into the future.”
Also recognized during the awards was Tiffany Pillars, Director of Accounting for Providence Federal Credit Union in Milwaukie, Ore. She received the Young Credit Union Leader Award. Pillars has played an integral role in boosting the attendance and engagement of NWCUA’s Mt. Hood Chapter, where she serves as President.
“As a young professional the greatest thing you can ask for is people who believe in you and who see things in you sometimes you can’t see in yourself,” Pillars said during her acceptance speech.
Other award winners included:
- Innovation and Impact: Teri Robinson, President and CEO of Ironworkers USA Federal Credit Union, Portland
- Distinguished Director: Cus Arteaga, Board Chairman of Lower Valley Credit Union, Sunnyside, Wash.
- Members on Main Street: Peninsula Credit Union, Shelton, Wash.
- Idaho Advocate of the Year: Brad Swartzentruber, President and CEO, Northwest Christian Credit Union, Nampa, Idaho.
- Oregon Advocate of the Year: Stacie Wyss-Schoenborn, President and CEO, Central Willamette Credit Union, Albany, Ore.
- Washington Advocate of the Year: Scott Adkins, President and CEO, Inspirus Credit Union, Seattle.
CUNA awards for financial education and social responsibility:
- Clackamas Federal Credit Union, Milwaukie, Ore.—Alphonse Desjardins Youth Financial Education Award and Alphonse Desjardins Adult Financial Education Award
- Rogue Credit Union, Medford, Ore.—Alphonse Desjardins Youth Education Award
- SnoCope Credit Union, Everett, Wash. —Desjardins Adult Financial Education Award
- Horizon Credit Union, Spokane Valley, Wash.—Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Award
- East Idaho Credit Union, Idaho Falls, Idaho—Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Award
- St. Helen’s Community Credit Union, St. Helen’s, Ore.—Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Award
- Maps Credit Union, Salem, Ore.—Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Award
- Rogue Credit Union, Medford, Ore.—Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Award.
Micro-Communities in Action Awards
- Honorable Mention LEAP in Action Awards: Southwest Washington Chapter, Climb Idaho, Young Credit Union Professionals of Oregon and Southwest Washington
- LEAP in Action: Spokane Chapter of Credit Unions
- Cooperation in Action: Southwest Washington Chapter
Top of the Hill Advocacy Awards
- Idaho: Advantage Plus Federal Credit Union, Clarity Credit Union, Northwest Christian Credit Union, and East Idaho Credit Union
- Oregon: Unitus Community Credit Union, Consolidated Community Credit Union, Northwest Community Credit Union, and Old West Federal Credit Union
- Washington: Horizon Credit Union, Gesa Credit Union, Peninsula Credit Union, and Inspirus Credit Union
Your Association congratulates all of this year’s deserving winners and thanks credit unions for their unwavering dedication to their members and communities.