John Zmolek, President/CEO of Seattle-based Verity CU, Takes Reins as Chair of NWCUA Board
October 19, 2018
With the Northwest Credit Union Association (NWCUA) poised to formally merge Idaho credit unions into the three-state credit union family Dec. 31, the Association seated its 2018-2019 Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
John Zmolek, President/CEO of Seattle-based Verity Credit Union, was selected by his peers to serve as Board Chair.
“I am moved and inspired by the warm and welcoming way the people of our newly formed Association have embraced one another to become one family,” Zmolek said at the closing session of NWCUA’s MAXX Convention in Tacoma, Washington. “It clearly bodes well for our future together.”
Zmolek encouraged Northwest credit unions to “lean in” and engage in their Association. He recommended participation in Committees, the NWCUA’s menu of professional networking councils, Emerging Leaders training, and advocacy events at the state and federal levels.
Zmolek succeeds Brook Van Vleet, President/CEO of St. Helens, Oregon-based St. Helens Community Credit Union, as Chair.
In turning over the gavel, Van Vleet thanked her colleagues for their engagement in the movement and asked each of them to “do one more thing or bring one more credit union friend along, to share just how to engage in the promise of the betterment of our future.”
Bert Fisher, CEO of Shelton, Washington-based Our Community Credit Union, will serve as Vice Chair of the NWCUA board during the coming year, and Jeff Adams, President/CEO of Spokane Valley, Washington-based Horizon Credit Union, will serve as Secretary/Treasurer.
In a recent election, NWCUA member credit unions re-elected Van Vleet, and Debie Keesee, CEO, Spokane, Washington-based Spokane Media Credit Union, to continue their board service. Joining Zmolek, Fisher, Adams, Keesee, and Van Vleet in NWCUA board service are:
- Debie Keesee, CEO, Spokane Media Federal Credit Union, Spokane, Washington.
- Bob Newcomb, CEO, SELCO Community Credit Union, Springfield, Oregon.
- Jim Lumpkin, President/CEO, USAgencies Credit Union, Portland, Oregon.
- Scott Burgess, Emeritus President/CEO, Rivermark Credit Union, Beaverton, Oregon.
- Don Clark, President/CEO, Sound Credit Union, Tacoma, Washington.
The Idaho Credit Union League’s (ICUL) Board of Directors will continue service until the merger into NWCUA formally takes place.
The ICUL Board of Directors includes:
- Kent Oram, Chief Executive Officer, Idaho Central Credit Union, Pocatello, Idaho. (Chair).
- Todd Erickson, President/CEO, CapEd Credit Union, Meridian, Idaho (Vice Chair).
- Brad Swartzentruber, President/CEO, Northwest Christian Credit Union, Nampa, Idaho (Secretary/Treasurer).
- Valerie Brooks, President/CEO, Simplot Employees Credit Union, Caldwell, Idaho.
- Jake Denning, VP/Financial & Strategic Planning, Beehive Federal Credit Union, Rexburg, Idaho.
- Chris Loseth, President/CEO, P1FCU, Lewiston, Idaho.
- Brent Neibaur, President/CEO, Advantage Plus Federal Credit Union, Pocatello, Idaho.
- Greg Sonnen, President/CEO, Cottonwood Community Federal Credit Union, Cottonwood, Idaho.
- Dan Thurman, President/CEO, East Idaho Credit Union, Idaho Falls, Idaho.
- Nick Fugal, Chief Financial Officer, Clarity Credit Union, Nampa, Idaho.
“The Northwest Credit Union Movement is in gratitude to the members of the NWCUA and ICUL boards,” said Troy Stang, NWCUA President and CEO. “Their dedication and future-focused leadership, their presence at the table, and their commitment to ongoing communications with their peers in all three states has been critical and is deeply appreciated.
Oram and Thurman will take seats on the NWCUA Board of Directors at its January 2019 meeting. Trisha Baker, President/CEO, Lewis Clark Credit Union, Lewiston, Idaho, will also join the NWCUA board. Baker currently serves on the board of the ICUL’s service corporation, League Services, Inc (LSI). One of the Idaho directors will be encouraged to serve on the Board’s Executive Committee.
Posted in NWCUA in the News.