Northwest Credit Unions Drive Stunning Financial Performance in Q2
NCUA analysis finds NW credit unions in the top tier of all positive key growth categories.
Northwest credit unions were among the nation’s top performers in asset, deposit, membership, loan, and positive net income growth during the second quarter of 2018, according to new data released by NCUA.
Here is a breakdown by category for Idaho, Oregon, and Washington credit unions:
Median Annual Asset Growth
- Idaho, 6.3 percent, highest in the nation.
- Oregon, 4.2 percent
- Washington, 4.7 percent
Median Annual Share and Deposit Growth
- Idaho, 5.3 percent, second highest in the nation.
- Oregon, 4.1 percent
- Washington, 4.5 percent
Median Annual Membership Growth
- Idaho, 1.4 percent
- Oregon, 2.5 percent, third highest in the nation.
- Washington, 1.9 percent
Nationally, almost half of all federally insured credit unions had fewer members at the end of the second quarter in 2018, than in the previous year, according to NCUA.
Median Annual Loan Growth
- Idaho, 10.0 percent, third highest in the nation.
- Oregon, 9.0 percent, sixth highest in the nation.
- Washington, 10.5 percent, highest in the nation.
NCUA reports the median growth was positive in every state during the year. Median growth rate in loans outstanding was 5.4 percent across the country, up from the previous loan growth rate of 4.4 percent.
Median Total Delinquency Rate
At the end of the second quarter, the median total delinquency rate among federally insured credit unions by 62 basis points. In this category as well, credit unions in Northwest states posted better rates.
- Idaho, 57bp
- Oregon, 25bp, best rate in the nation.
- Washington, 37bp
Median Loans to Share Ratio
- Idaho, 91 percent, second highest in the nation.
- Oregon, 76 percent
- Washington, 80 percent
Median Return on Average Assets
- Idaho, 71bp
- Oregon, 82bp, ranked third in the nation.
- Washington, 79bp
Northwest credit unions far outpaced the national ROAA of 52 basis points in the first half of 2018.
Positive Net Income
- Idaho, 92 percent
- Oregon, 98 percent, third highest in the nation.
- Washington, 94 percent
Editor’s note: Want more data? Read the full report from NCUA here. In the coming weeks, your Association will highlight how Northwest credit unions are remaining relevant to consumers and continuing to post strong financial performance.