NCUA Awards Grants to 11 Northwest Credit Unions
April 6, 2015
April 6, 2015
The NCUA Wednesday awarded a total of $36,000 in grants to 11 Northwest credit unions for staff training and student internships. A total of 153 low-income credit unions will receive $520,440 through the first Community Development Revolving Loan Fund grant round in 2015.
“We are a small credit union and the ability to hire a paid intern has the potential to add capacity that will benefit our members,” said Dori Harvel, CEO of Mint Valley Federal Credit Union in Longview, Washington, which received a $4,000 grant to fund a student internship. “The Association was instrumental in helping us get this grant as well as our low-income designation, and we really appreciate the services that they offer.”
Staff training grants may be used for various staff development programs, including many offered by the Association, including:
- Asset/Liability Management School (4/22 – 4/24)
- Account Administration Seminar (4/29)
- HR Legal Update Seminar (5/6)
- Directors’ Conference (6/5-6/7)
- Compliance Legal Update Seminar (6/18)
Grants may also be used for registration for the Association’s Amplify Convention, to be hosted this October in Portland, Oregon.
“These grants focus on the future of credit unions,” NCUA Board Chairman Debbie Matz said. “They will help train staff and volunteers to provide even better service and introduce the next generation of leadership to the credit union system. NCUA works hard to help credit unions succeed, and investing in current and future staff is a good way to help them do what they do best: serve members and their communities.”
The grantee credit unions in the Northwest are:
- Blue Mountain CU – $3,000 for staff training
- Express CU – $3,000 for student Internship
- Food Industries CU – $3,000 for staff training
- LANECO FCU – $3,000 for staff training
- Longshore FCU – $3,000 for staff training
- McKenzie Valley FCU – $4,000 for student internship
- Mint Valley FCU – $4,000 for student Internship
- Newrizons FCU – $4,000 for student internship
- Sears Spokane Employees’ FCU – $3,000 for staff training
- Valley CU – $3,000 for staff training
- Wenatchee Valley FCU – $3,000 for staff training
Credit unions interested in applying for the next round of grants from the NCUA can get important information during an agency webinar, “NCUA 2015 Grant and Loan Opportunities,” scheduled for Wednesday, April 15, beginning at 2 p.m. Eastern.
Dominic Carullo, an Economic Development Specialist with NCUA’s Office of Small Credit Union Initiatives, will be joined by Geetha Valiyil, Comptroller, Office of Small Credit Union Initiatives, and David Fitzgerald, National Account Director, Illinois Credit Union League, to discuss the grant application process and the four grant initiatives that NCUA will fund: cybersecurity, building capacity branching, digital growth and new products and services.
Online registration is available here. Participants will also use this link to log into the webinar.
Questions about this story? Contact James Pearson: 206.340.4790, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted in NCUA.