Get Ready for GAC
February 23, 2015
February 23, 2015
CUNA’s annual Governmental Affairs Conference (GAC) in Washington, D.C. is only two weeks away, and Northwest credit unions are gearing up to make their voices heard in the halls of the Capitol. This year’s conference gives the credit union movement a chance to celebrate the 100 million memberships milestone, and to look ahead to the growing future of the movement.
The conference is not only the premier national advocacy event of the year for credit unions, it also gives movement leaders from around the country the chance to learn the latest political, technological and economic trends shaping the credit union landscape. This year’s GAC will include renowned keynote speakers including:
- Ari Fleischer – Former White House Press Secretary under George W. Bush and author of New York Times bestseller “Taking Heat.”
- Arianna Huffington – Chair, president, and editor-in-chief of Huffington Post Media Group, named one of TIME’s 100 most influential people and honored on the Forbes list of the world’s most powerful women.
- Gen. Stanley McChrystal, USA (Ret.) – Former commander of U.S. and international forces in Afghanistan and former leader of the Joint Special Operations Command.
- Tom Ridge – The first Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and current CEO of Ridge Global, which helps companies and governments manage risk, security and preparedness.
This year, advocates will hike the hill to share the credit union message with their Senators, and with the House out of session, they will take advantage of extra time with House staffers to share our recent Economic Impact Report and the difference credit unions are making in their districts.
The Northwest Credit Union Association (NWCUA) has also planned several special events for credit union leaders and advocates from Oregon and Washington. We invite you to join us for the following events during CUNA GAC:
- Sunday, March 8, 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – NWCUA First Time Attendee Coffee, Starbucks, Convention Center
- Monday, March 9, 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. – NWCUA Welcome Reception, Marriott Marquis, Liberty Ballroom I-K
- Tuesday, March 10, 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. – Special NWCUA Discussion With NCUA Board Member Mark McWatters, Convention Center, Room 204 ABC
- Tuesday, March 10, 1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. – Team Leader Briefing, Convention Center, Room 204 ABC
- Tuesday, March 10, 2:15 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. – Oregon Legislative Briefing, Convention Center, Room 204 ABC
- Tuesday, March 10, 3:45 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. – Washington Legislative Briefing, Convention Center, Room 204 ABC
- Wednesday, March 11, 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. – Hill Meetings (Finalized Schedule to be Delivered by March 1)
- Wednesday, March 11, 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – Hill Reception With Staff, Rayburn House Office Building, B-369
The NWCUA is also arranging Capitol tours for credit union advocates from the Northwest. If you are interested in a tour, please email Samantha Beeler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have not yet registered for the GAC, you can visit the conference website.
Questions about this story? Contact James Pearson: 206.340.4790, email@example.com.