Northwest Credit Unions to Hand Out Stacks of Cash for International Credit Union Day
September 29, 2014
September 29, 2014
On October 16, credit unions across the Northwest will “pay it forward” for International Credit Union Day (ICU Day) by handing out stacks of cash. To show people the credit union difference in a way they’ll never forget, credit unions will hand out stacks of money to symbolize the savings they generate for their members every day.
On the afternoon of Wednesday, October 8 at Amplify in Spokane, the Northwest Credit Union Association will demonstrate the power of paying it forward by handing out stacks of cash to Amplify attendees, chosen at random, and inviting all Northwest credit unions to join in the ICU Day effort.
This demonstration is sponsored by CSCU, the credit union industry’s advocate, partner and leader in total payment solutions. “As a credit union company we know what it means to pay it forward,” said Joe Reid of CSCU. “We do that every day by helping credit unions improve their card portfolios in a number of ways, like providing access to free portfolio consulting services and driving down their processing costs and doing all we can to level the playing field with the big issuers.”
To generate the most impact for this effort, the NWCUA has created some helpful resources.
First, we’ve designed a cash “wrapper” to drive home the credit union difference. Download and print the PDF, and wrap your stacks of pay-it-forward cash with the credit union story. Or make your own wrappers!
And second, here’s a quick guide to paying it forward on October 16.
- Focus on non-members. If you do happen to offer the cash to a member, invite them to pay-it-forward to non-member friends and family.
- When you hand off the cash, be sure to share the credit union difference in a quick, impactful form. Here’s an elevator pitch you can practice: “Credit Unions in the Northwest save households an average of $114 per year. Today we’re paying it forward into our community. This cash is yours, no strings attached. To learn what makes credit unions a smarter choice visit (insert your credit union here).”
- Capture the moment. Use video and/or photography to capture your unsuspecting beneficiary’s reaction, and share it with the hashtag #CUPayItForward
- Here are some ideas on great ways to pay it forward in your community:
- At the grocery store. Step in just before a customer pays.
- At the gas station. Walk up just as a customer stops at the pump.
- At a restaurant. Step in just after the waiter brings the bill.
- At the bus stop. Make someone’s day while waiting for the bus.
- At a transitional home. Help someone dress for success with some new clothes.
- At school. Help a teacher get the supplies they need.
- Get creative! Find delightful ways to pay if forward.
This ICU Day, celebrate with the Northwest credit union community by paying it forward into your community, and let’s show the Northwest just how valuable credit unions are!
Questions about this story? Contact James Pearson: 206.340.4790, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted in Events.