News & Notes: Here’s What’s Happening Around the Northwest
December 26, 2013
Dec. 26, 2013
Fibre Federal Credit Union CEO Larry Hoff and iQ Credit Union CEO Roger Michaelis celebrate the results of the 2013 “Credit Union Ride and Rock” by presenting a check for $37,119 to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital.
‘Ride and Rock’ a Roaring Success for Doernbecher Children’s Hospital
More than 200 motorcycle riders joined Fibre Federal Credit Union and iQ Credit Union for the Seventh-Annual “Credit Union Ride and Rock” in August, and now the totals are in: The 2013 event, held in partnership with CO-OP Financial Services’ Miracle Match program, raised $37,119 for Doernbecher Children’s Hospital.
Fibre Federal CEO Larry Hoff and iQ CEO Roger Michaelis were on hand last week to present the big check to hospital staff. In its seven-year history, “Ride and Rock” has raised more than $230,000 for the CU for Kids program at Doernbecher, which is part of the Children’s Miracle Network of hospitals.
At the ride in August, motorcycle riders gathered at iQ’s downtown Vancouver branch before heading to Doernbecher with saddlebags filled with “Ride and Rock” teddy bears and other toys. When they registered for the event, each rider received a bear to deliver. Bears also were sold at Fibre Federal branches before the event, making it possible for riders to deliver approximately 450 teddy bears.
Riders were greeted by hospital staff and several Doernbecher patients, all eager to check out the bikes and enjoy the gifts they carried. The ride then looped riders around Highway 30 and back to Ridgefield. After the ride, event participants enjoyed a Patrick Lamb concert at Bethany Vineyards and were joined by other Doernbecher supporters for a night of music and fundraising.
For more information on “Ride and Rock,” including ways to get involved with next year’s event, go to www.curideandrock.org.
Wauna Credit Union’s holiday promotion leaves a good taste in everyone’s mouth
December was especially yummy for members at Wauna Credit Union.
That’s because employees shared their favorite recipes with members on the credit union’s website and through Facebook posts throughout the month, offering everything from Ashley’s Caramel Corn and Aunt Carol’s Apple Cake to Hanukkah Doughnut Holes and Saint Lucia Buns.
Jeff Parker, manager of Wauna’s Astoria branch, offered his take on “Easy Fudge”:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 12 oz. of good-quality chocolate chips or chopped chocolate pieces
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
Directions: In a large saucepan, melt butter on low heat. Add sweetened condensed milk and chocolate, heat on a low heat stirring constantly. When chocolate has melted remove from heat and add vanilla. Mix well and pour into a foil or wax paper lined loaf pan sprayed with non-stick spray or lightly coated with oil. Let set for several hours and cut into small squares.
Still hungry? You’ll find the entire collection of holiday recipes here.
Making the Holidays Merry and Bright for Members, Neighbors and Nonprofits
Northwest credit unions have a huge impact on the communities they serve all year long, but that’s especially true during the holiday season:
- Fans who “liked” Advantis Credit Union’s Facebook page in December helped to raise $794 for the Portland Police Bureau Sunshine Division. Members and employees also donated $5,989.50 in cash and tuna purchases to help the Sunshine Division feed local families during the holidays and throughout the year.
- Every year, staff at STCU’s main branch in Spokane donate socks and underwear to Garfield Elementary School for children in need. This year, they raised $440, enough to buy more than 330 pairs of socks, 200 pairs of underwear, 16 knit stocking hats and 18 pairs of gloves.
- And then there are the folks at Spokane Federal Credit Union, who — after a holiday season filled with fundraising events — gave their members one final present: the gift of laughter. Racing down the snow-covered hills in this funny video are CEO Susan Blain, VP of Administration Charlotte Nemec, VP of Finance Joe Murcar and VP of Member Services Jana Farace.
Questions? Contact Gary Stein: 503.350.2216, email@example.com.