Today is Tweet Tuesday; Credit Unions Asked to Send Twitter Messages to House
August 13, 2013
Aug. 13, 2013
A nationwide “tweet-a-thon” by credit union members sent a strong message to U.S. Senators last month. Today marks an opportunity for Northwest credit unions to now target their house representatives.
“With congress on recess, it’s a good time to keep the tax discussion alive,” said Lynn Heider, vice president of public relations and communications for the Northwest Credit Union Association (NWCUA). “We’ve posted some sample tweets on our members-only Truth Speaks website, making it easy to cut and paste them into your Twitter message boxes.”
During “Don’t Tax Tuesday” July 23, the Credit Union National Association (CUNA) estimated over 2,000 separate twitter messages were followed by 875,396 people online. Those were the messages CUNA was able to track because the tweets specifically mentioned a member of Congress’s Twitter handle and the #DontTaxMyCU hashtag.
Senators were targeted last month because they had a July 26 deadline to submit their thoughts on tax reform legislation to the Senate Finance Committee. Credit Unions are urged to tweet their house members Aug. 13 as one of several weekly marketing activities posted on the Truth Speaks online marketing schedule.
The sample tweets include district-specific information about the numbers of members in each district, and the Twitter handles of Congressional representatives. For example, Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, representing Washington’s 5th congressional district, has over 269,000 credit union members in her constituency. Oregon Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-4) has more than 323,000 credit union members.
The next recommended activity on the Truth Speaks marketing schedule is planned for the week of Aug. 19, when credit unions are urged to have their staff members call the local field offices of their Senators and Congressional representatives, thanking known credit union champions and urging protection of the credit union tax model.
You can find the Twitter handles of Oregon and Washington Congressional representatives below.
Oregon Twitter Handles by District
- 1st — Rep. Suzanne Bonamici [D] @RepBonamici
- 2nd — Rep. Greg Walden [R] @repgregwalden
- 3rd — Rep. Earl Blumenauer [D] @blumenauermedia
- 4th — Rep. Peter DeFazio [D] @RepPeterDeFazio
- 5th — Rep. Kurt Schrader [D] @repschrader
Washington Twitter Handles by District
- 1st — Rep. Suzan DelBene [D] @RepDelBene
- 2nd — Rep. Rick Larsen [D] @RepRickLarsen
- 3rd — Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler [R] @herrerabeutler
- 4th — Rep. Doc Hastings [R] @DocHastings
- 5th — Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers [R] @cathymcmorris
- 6th — Rep. Derek Kilmer [D] @RepDerekKilmer
- 7th — Rep. Jim McDermott [D] @RepJimMcDermott
- 8th — Rep. David Reichert [R] @davereichert
- 9th — Rep. Adam Smith [D] @Rep_Adam_Smith
- 10th — Rep. Denny Heck [D] @RepDennyHeck
Questions? Contact Lynn Heider: 503.350.2225, email@example.com.
Posted in Article Post.