Mortgage Loan Underwriter
April 22, 2013
Position Primary Purpose: Responsible for underwriting mortgage loans retained by NWCU.
- Works to ensure all possible loans that are retained by the credit union have very low credit risk and adverse selection does not occur.
- Has superior analytical ability to conduct an analysis of an applicant’s credit status and recommend alternatives when appropriate.
- Completes all federally mandated reports and submits before the date due.
- Communicates with auditors regarding departmental standards and ensures all audits have a positive outcome with limited minor exceptions.
- Assists with writing and maintaining complete departmental procedures.
- Refers any loans being underwritten not meeting conservative standards to senior underwriter for approval.
- Audits all loan files before they are filed in the vault after funding.
- Performs mortgage lending functions in conformance with established Credit Union policies and procedures.
- Confirms that Credit Union policies and procedures are consistent with secondary market standards or advises supervisor in writing of the differences making recommendations for changes.
- Provides exceptional customer service by exceeding internal customer expectations.
- Develops and maintains a thorough understanding of the current loan application programs and uses them in the manner prescribed by management.
- Maintains a superior level of knowledge and procedural expertise in the Credit Union’s mortgage products.
- Supports mortgage department employees with respect to mortgage products and services.
- By listening to problems, collecting data, securing answers, and following up on details resolves matters to the satisfaction of their customers.
- Discusses sensitive personal financial circumstances in a tactful professional manner.Completes closed loan processing
- Handles depositing and posting of broker checks to appropriate GL’s.
- Directs servicing calls and loan requests/ applications to appropriate departments.
- May perform a variety of duties which require knowledge of such departmental procedures as putting away supplies, sending supplies to branches, personal computer work, filing, typing correspondence, pulling credit reports, etc., as needed.
- Assists in cross-training other employees.
- Consistently read and respond to all correspondence, including emails.
- Successfully complete required compliance training annually.
- Perform additional duties as assigned and work in other departments and branches as required.
Previous Experience: A minimum of five years’ experience underwriting conforming loans.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent preferred. Courses related to finance, and lending underwriting would be valuable.
- Ability to provide leadership, and to function effectively as a member of a team or on individual tasks and assignments.
- Maintains consistent high standards in areas of accuracy, thoroughness, completeness, and neatness of documentation, system input and correspondence.
- Superior level of knowledge of features and benefits of all Credit Union services and products.
- Strong, well-developed interpersonal, communication and interviewing skills to determine existing and/or potential
members’ needs. Demonstrates ability to communicate with internal and external members in a business-like manner, which will enhance the Credit Union’s overall image.
- Ability to organize work in order to give prompt attention to member’s request, while at the same time meeting deadlines for work processing.
- Demonstrated skills in member-related account transactions. Ability to interpret and explain Credit Union polices and transactions posted to member’s accounts.
- Capability for effective use of office machines and data processing systems to perform duties as required.
- Continuous sitting for long periods of time when providing services to members and carrying out other responsibilities.
- Occasional lifting up to 10 pounds. Frequent bending, squatting, or kneeling to reach supplies on ground level.
- Occasional reaching above shoulder level for supplies overhead. Continuous use of hands in repetitive tasks such as simple grasping, twisting/turning of wrists; finger dexterity to perform various clerical duties such as keyboarding,
writing, and handling money. Continuous speaking and hearing for interaction with members and coworkers.
- Continuous clarity of vision at 20 inches or less for normal processing of members’ transactions. Frequent clarity of vision at 20 feet or more for security purposes.
Continuous alertness, precision, and concentration to ensure accuracy and thoroughness of documentation and transactions. Continuous alertness of surroundings for security purposes. Continuous performance of basic numeric calculations, as well as writing, reading, comparing, and analyzing. Occasional performance of complex numeric calculations. Frequent use of judgment, reasoning, patience, and negotiation in solving members’ problems. Continuous memory demands in recalling Credit Union policies, services, and state and federal regulations.
Length of workday is unpredictable. May have to work long hours to complete paperwork because of computer failure or unusually heavy member contacts. Exposed to potentially hazardous condition, i.e., robbery. Receives detailed instructions and procedures to be followed to minimize the risk.
Visit https://nwcu.com/contact/employment to apply.
Posted in Article Post.