NCUF Calls for 2014 Wegner Award Nominations
March 28, 2013
March 28, 2013
Credit union supporters are encouraged to nominate the credit union movement’s best and brightest individuals and organizations for the 2014 Herb Wegner Memorial Awards.
The awards are presented annually by the National Credit Union Foundation (NCUF) during the Credit Union National Association (CUNA) Governmental Affairs Conference (GAC) in Washington, D.C. Nominees are currently being sought for the following four categories:
- The Individual Achievement Award, which honors an unsung hero for their innovative concepts and/or accomplishments that are ongoing and current contributions to the credit union community within the past three to five years. Accomplishments must have had a significant impact or a potential impact on the local, national or international credit union movement with measured results. Nominations must cite a specific subject of achievement such as financial literacy, service to the underserved, alternatives to predatory lending, and/or new products.
- The Outstanding Organization/Program Award, which honors an organization, program or business for their innovative concepts and/or product/services that have had a significant impact on the local, national or international credit union movement with measured results.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award, which honors an individual who has dedicated their life to promoting the credit union philosophy, created innovative concepts and provided leadership that has had a significant and lasting impact on the local, national or international credit union movement.
“[The] NCUF’s Wegner Awards are widely considered the highest national honors in the credit union movement,” said Josie Collins, NCUF director of donor relations and resource development. “We encourage credit union supporters to nominate their best and brightest whose achievements fulfill the Foundation’s mission to make financial freedom achievable through credit unions.”
Denise Gabel, chief operating officer of the Northwest Credit Union Association (NWCUA), hosted the 2013 Herb Wegner Awards Dinner last month, building on a Wegner Award legacy in the Northwest that already included four winners—“Biz Kid$” (2010), First Tech Federal Credit Union’s Tom Sargent (2009), credit union consultant Carol Schillios (2007) and Numerica Credit Union’s Dennis Cutter (2006)—in the past eight years.
According to Collins, the NCUF has worked to extend that community feel to the entire awards process.
“One thing this year that the NCUF Awards & Recognition Committee added is new criteria,” Collins said, “so credit union supporters who’ve made a significant impact locally can also be nominated.”
Nominations must be submitted by Friday, June 28, using the following three steps:
- Complete the Wegner Awards nomination form on the NCUF website;
- Gather at least five letters of recommendation citing examples of the nominee’s achievements relevant to the award criteria; and
- Send the nomination form and recommendation letters electronically to the NCUF by June 28.
Questions about the Wegner Awards can be directed to Josie Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 800.356.9655, ext. 4374.
About the Herb Wegner Memorial Awards:
The awards are named in honor of the late Credit Union National Association CEO Herb Wegner, whose tireless dedication, innovative ideas and deeds truly revolutionized the ways that credit unions serve their communities. The awards that bear Wegner’s name recognize his spirit of “innovative, creative, risk-taking” leadership.
Questions? Contact the NWCUA Awards Program: 800.995.9064, ext. 106; email@example.com.