February 23, 2013
Are you a Leader? Do you believe in Cooperation? Are you personally governed by the following principles?
The 7 Cooperative Principles
Principle #1 (Inclusive): Membership Should Be Open To All
Principle #2 (Voice): Members Should Call The Shots
Principle #3 (Participation): Rates & Fees Should Benefit Our Members
Principle #4 (Independence): Autonomy & Independence Set Us Apart
Principle #5 (Education): Financial Education Should Be Free & Available To All
Principle #6 (Cooperation): Cooperation Among Cooperatives Is Vital
Principle #7 (Community): Giving Back To The Community Is An Obligation
If any of those sound like you, you might very well make a fabulous addition to the SMCU Cooperative! SMCU is a growing organization and our mission statement is: We help members achieve their financial goals to realize their dreams. At SMCU, it is our employees who truly make us a success. After all, it is our staff members who directly provide the excellent service our membership expects and deserves.
Please visit http://www.smcu.com/home/about/employment to see a full job description, benefits summary and to learn more about the credit union. Also, find out a little more about the culture of organization by visiting the following sites, http://www.7principles.coop/ and http://opcoop.coop/.
Your role as the Senior Accountant at SMCU will be to assure accurate maintenance of general ledger accounts, the financial statements of the Credit Union and integrity of individual member accounts.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for the timely preparation and accuracy of the financial reports including the monthly financials and quarterly NCUA regulatory reports as required.
- Analyze revenues and expenses to ensure they are recorded appropriately on a monthly basis.
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations
- Assist with analyzing financial statements on a monthly basis and report on variances.
- Assist in documentation and monitoring of internal controls.
- Identify trends or issues that require management’s attention.
- Identify and implement process improvements that increase accuracy and efficiency.
- Develops and assures strong supportive relationships with all departments and branches to ensure mutual cooperation and problem solving.
- Assists in development and updating of desktop procedures for departmental duties.
- Assists outside auditors and state examiners.
- Supports, and promotes Credit Union products and services.
Other duties may be assigned.
- Indirect exposure to robbery.
- Work is generally performed in an office environment. May be required to attend off-hours and off-site meetings and seminar.
- May require some overtime work and travel.
- Physical effort may be required to lift and to move boxes of data reports (approximately 5 lbs. to 20 lbs.).
- Required to observe and practice safety procedures when installing data processing equipment, especially with regard to electrical connections, and lifting of data processing equipment.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and / or Finance.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP and regulatory accounting requirements as they pertain to financial institutions.
- Knowledge (and experience) with core data processing systems and personal computers.
- Comprehensive knowledge of credit union history and its philosophy preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Accurate keyboarding/typing skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Flexible in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to communicate with tact, discretion, and courtesy with all levels within and outside the organization. Good negotiation skills.
- Knowledge and familiarity with Windows-based computer programs.
- Knowledge and familiarity with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel is required.
- Ability to use the Internet to retrieve information associated with accounting issues.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Excellent attendance.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Must have a minimum of three to five years experience in financial institution accounting.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Posted in Article Post.