Internal Audit Manager
February 1, 2013
To Apply: www.kitsapcu.org
Job Title: Internal Audit Manager
Reports to: Supervisory Committee – Audit Operations, President/CEO – Administrative
Department: Internal Audit
Responsible for the planning and execution of financial, compliance and operational audits of the credit union’s activities to evaluate internal controls and ensure compliance with corporate policies and procedures and the identification and mitigation of risks. Uses independent judgment and experience to carry out a comprehensive internal audit plan that addresses and mitigates indentified risks. Documents and communicates audit findings and recommendations to Management and the Audit Supervisory Committee. Manage and oversee the Audit Department.
- Demonstrate support of corporate values, mission and vision. Perform transactions and other job duties consistently within these standards and in accordance with the guidelines of our laws and regulations.
- Ensure strict compliance to Internal Audit Department Charter, Mission and Scope of Work Statement.
- Ensure that any concerns with regard to the Audit function are reported directly to the Supervisory Committee and the President/CEO.
- Develop and administer a comprehensive audit program for the credit union, ensuring that internal controls are adequate to ensure compliance with the respective goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Develop the internal audit program to complement the work of the external auditors, DFI, and NCUA examiners.
- Coordinate external audit and reviews including those pertaining to information systems. Serve as a liaison between regulatory examiners, outside auditors and the credit union staff.
- Establish objectives for increasing the Internal Audit Department’s ability to serve the credit union and monitors progress toward those objectives.
- Identify and supervise activities relevant to audits, evaluate their significance and assess the degree of risk inherent in the activities. Prepare and present an annual audit work plan identifying areas or priority, effort of work and completion dates for approval by the Supervisory Committee.
- Provide flexibility in audit programs in response to management requests without sacrificing good internal controls or audit compliance requirements.
- Review the Internal Audit Charter and recommend changes to the Supervisory Committee.
- Train, supervise and review performance of Internal Audit staff to ensure objectives are achieved.
- Maintain complete files documenting audit procedures used, all completed audit reports and written responses to such reports. Prepares and delivers reports, both written and oral, to management, the Supervisory Committee and Board of Directors.
- Perform all audits in accordance with the internal audit program and professional audit and accounting standards.
- Identify factors causing internal controls weakness and recommend action for their improvement.
- Maintain effective communication with all employees to ensure coordination and exchange of information for accomplishing credit union goals and objectives.
- Work independently and as a team member, using discretion in decision-making and sound judgment, in problem solving.
- Use interpersonal communication skills to ensure personnel and member related issues are handled in a fair and professional manner.
- Maintain professional and community contacts that relate to job responsibilities.
- Administers Credit Union human resource policies within area of responsibility including managing, supervising, hiring, firing, evaluation, training, staffing, employee counseling and salary administration.
- Assist with long term planning and execution of strategic goals.
- Provides leadership and commitment to affirmative action and equal employment opportunity.
- Provides leadership and training to develop and encourage staff performance while establishing succession plans and a culture of career development within each business unit.
- aintains a high level of confidentiality relative to any information received directly or indirectly at all times.
- Attend work-related courses and seminars and pursue a program of leadership and self-development and provide written reports to management and the Supervisory Committee. Keep informed of all regulatory and industry changes affecting the credit union.
- Contribute to effective department and Credit Union operations by performing other related duties as assigned.
- Five or more years of experience as an internal auditor managing audit engagements in a financial institution or a related organization. Senior level audit management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year university in a business related field.
- Proficiency in GAAP, in-depth knowledge of internal audit standards, procedures and techniques required for performing engagements and best practices.
- CIA professional certification required or must sit for CIA exam within the first year of hire. Additional certifications (CPA, CISA, CMA, CBA, CFE, or CSFA) preferred.
- Ability to effectively manage conflict and adversarial situations, while maintaining the highest level of confidentiality and discretion.
- Proficient PC skills utilizing Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Current up to date knowledge of regulatory/compliance requirements and a commitment to maintain knowledge of accounting and auditing rules and compliance regulations.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player and to provide objective recommendations.
- Ability to prioritize work assignments and organize work schedules to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with individuals at all levels, inside and outside the credit union.
- Ability to coordinate and work on a number of unrelated functions and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to make sound decisions and to follow up.
- Ability to complete tasks with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage sensitive issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain a positive and professional image through effective verbal and written communication and dress.
- Requires the ability to sit or stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Requires the ability to work on a computer for prolonged periods of time.
- Requires the ability to stand, lift, bend, and stretch.
- Requires the ability to work in an office environment.
Kitap Credit Union reserves the right to revise or change the job description as the need arises. This job description is not all inclusive of total job responsibilities nor does it constitute a written or implied contract of employment.