Mortgage Loan Operations Manager
December 12, 2012
To proactively lead Mortgage Services in achieving the highest levels of performance through processing, underwriting and closing of first mortgages. Success in this position is demonstrated by building a cohesive team of mortgage personnel, effectively managing a pipeline of mortgage applications, ensuring regulatory compliance, and the timely underwriting and closing of mortgage loans in alignment with the credit union and secondary market’s policies and procedures.
Serve as a subject matter expert having thorough knowledge of all agency underwriting guidelines to include Fannie Mae and Desktop Underwriter guidelines, Freddie Mac and Loan Prospector guidelines, FHA underwriting guidelines and secondary market investor underwriting guidelines. Proficient in all aspects of first mortgage lending practices including (but not limited to) origination, processing, funding, secondary market and servicing.
Ability to oversee the timely processing, underwriting, closing, and delivery of all first mortgage applications while maintaining the highest levels of service to the mortgage sales staff and mortgage applicants
Capable of implementing accurate and effective quality control systems for loan packets to include checklists that ensure support personnel are performing their tasking correctly to include ongoing monitoring. Proficient at developing processes and procedures as it relates to the processing, closing and delivery of mortgage loans.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Mortgage Services Department. Manage workflow and staff productivity to ensure excellent service to internal customers and members at all times.
- Manage the department’s personnel administration activities including job assignments, attendance, training, coaching, performance evaluation and compensation within established guidelines and policies.
- Train Mortgage Processors in common processes and job responsibilities.
- Assist lending personnel with difficult or unusual situations, handling difficult members and escalated member complaints.
- Develop and maintain schedules for mortgage staff to ensure adequate coverage at all times.
- Manage secondary market pricing with various investors and publish rates daily.
- Manage secondary market mortgage loan sales to various investors.
- Manage content and general information for web pages of Mortgage Loan Officers.
- Prepare production reports for VP of Mortgage Services.
- Manage web-based loan application systems, department loan operating system and other loan-related technology used daily by the Mortgage Loan Officers.
- Continually look for opportunities to add value for our members.
- Ensure that all applications and documents have been completed thoroughly, accurately and that they are properly signed.
- Approve loans within designated loan approval authority level.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of underwriting criteria for all real estate loan types.
- Assist members with a wide variety of transactions, inquiries, complaints and information requests.
- Represent the Credit Union to members in a friendly, positive, and professional manner. Ensure that work area, reports, correspondence and records are neatly and accurately maintained to present a favorable image of the Credit Union.
- Understand Credit Union products and services thoroughly and can easily discuss the features and benefits of various products/services available.
- Process account maintenance tasks such as recording trust deeds; filing reconveyances and satisfactions, and other member requested items.
- Respond effectively to member problems and complaints. Refer members to the proper person for specific information and assistance when appropriate.
- Resolve account errors and problems. Ensure that all available resource materials and options are utilized and exhausted whenever possible to arrive at a resolution.
- Maintain adequate supply of forms and documents to perform duties.
- Understand current federal and state laws applicable to real estate lending and deposit accounts.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the Credit Union’s data processing system, including accessing information on the web and My iQ.
- Act as a resource for mortgage staff in procedures and product information.
- Act as a resource to other lending functions.
- Keep informed about the local financial marketplace and the activities of our competitors.
- Act as back up to other positions as needed.
- Conduct and actively participates in staff and departmental meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience: Five years to ten years of similar or related experience.
- Education: A college degree.
- Ability to create an atmosphere that promotes teamwork, collaboration and initiative. Must have excellent organizational, communication (written and oral), and interpersonal skills. Must possess basic math skills with a basic understanding of accounting
- Ability to cross-sell Credit Union products and services effectively and accurately
- Flexibility to deal with unexpected events, and attend meetings and events that may occur outside of regularly scheduled work hours. Work schedule may vary to provide sufficient service levels.
- Thorough knowledge of underwriting criteria for all real estate loan types
- Proficient in use of personal computer, particularly word processing and spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel. Proficient in use of Credit Union’s computer system for member account management
- Analytical ability to conduct an analysis of applicant’s credit status and recommend alternatives when appropriate