Vice President of Member Service SMCU
September 4, 2012
Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union is a growing credit union with an excellent opportunity for an experienced Vice President of Member Services.
This is an exceptional career opportunity for a professional with a strong financial, member service, and sales background. This individual will lead the sales growth in SMCU’s progressive and innovative organization. As a member of the Management Team, this dynamic individual will be results oriented and will have experience leading a retail operations group which includes card services, electronic services, the ATM network, fraud detection/mitigation, the member contact center, and retail branch network. There is room for growth in this successful organization as well as a variety of activities and projects involved in this busy position. Must be able to motivate and supervise staff. Must be a self-starter, take initiative, and have an outgoing, sales, and customer service driven personality. We offer an excellent compensation package, along with an extensive benefits package.
Please visit http://www.smcu.com/home/about/employment to see a full job description, benefits summary and to learn more about the credit union.
Role at SMCU
As a VP of Member Service, you will be part of the senior management team responsible for the overall leadership of the retail operations group which includes card services, electronic services, the ATM network, fraud detection/mitigation, the member contact center, and retail branch network. Functions as the senior leader for the On-Line Banking, Telephone Banking, and Shared Branching service delivery channels.
Essential Job Functions
Leadership & Staff Development
- Leads the Business: energized leader who will be directly supervising the Operations Department Manager, Contact Center Manager, and AVP Director of branches in support of achieving SMCU Key Performance Objectives (i.e. ROA, Net Income, Capital). Possesses the ability to communicate a compelling and inspired vision or sense of purpose, while making the vision clear and shareable by everyone.
- Ability to motivate, inspire, and encourage the entire team to perform well, while maintaining a strong capacity of leading through change and adversity with ease.
- Committed to fostering the development of others and providing a supportive environment for professional growth and enhancing performance. Acts as a mentor and consistently demonstrates the ability to raise- up leadership via professional development and internal promotion.
- Demonstrated ability to drive for results and hold the operations group, contact center, and branch leadership accountable for achieving weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual targets in member service, operational, and sales results.
- Works as an effective collaborator with the Senior Management and Management teams on a regular basis. Represents the operations group, contact center, and branch network in strategic planning meetings as scheduled, sharing knowledge, concerns, and opinions.
- Accountable for ensuring financial/budget goals set by the Chief Operations Officer are met or exceeded.
- Strong ability to effectively influence the actions and opinions or others, while committed to consistently make the tough call when needed.
Sales & Service
- Using coaching as the primary tool for improving staff performance by holding regular one-on-one meetings and coaching sessions, documenting results using the Platinum Sales & Service Model. Inspects what is expected to ensure that direct reports are doing the same.
- Leads by example in demonstrating effective consultative sales and service interactions using the Platinum Sales & Service model.
- Responsible for ensuring that an effective process is in place for the handling of member’s complaints and questions in a timely and professional manner. Will be directly involved in responding to complaints/correspondence from federal, state, and local regulatory agencies.
- Collaborates with the Member Services leadership group to establish service level metrics based on industry trends and established management expectations. These metrics include in-bound call wait times, call abandon rate, call length times, and e-mail response times; ATM, On-line Banking, Telephone Banking, and Shared branching online availability; branch lobby wait times, new accounts and, loan application/decision/funding time standards.
- Proactive participates in the development and implementation of the strategic plan in order to carry out action items as assigned. Communicates the strategic direction to team and assures that it is clearly communicated to all staff so that the entire team is clear about goals and expectations.
- Participates in the budget process, assuring that the budget is sufficient to achieve the service, operations, and sales requirements of the strategic plan.
- Responsible for effectively managing current and potential vendor relationships along with the due diligence process for vendors assigned within the Member Services area.
- Regularly works with legal counsel to resolve member disputes and other litigiative matters involving the Member Services group, develop operational policy/process, obtain legal opinions.
- May function as the Credit Union’s Bank Secrecy Act Officer, OFAC Compliance Officer, Privacy Officer, and/or Business Continuity Plan Coordinator.
- Holds Member Services group accountable for keeping operational procedures up-to-date. Responsible for ensuring the direct reports respond in a timely manner to any audit/exam requests, including any follow up needing to occur as a result of exam findings.
- Ensures that the Member Services team is completing staff evaluations, performance plans, and requests for personnel, in a timely manner.
- Keep abreast of news in the financial services industry and changing trends in operations, contact center delivery, and retail branching in a way that maintains competitiveness.
- Four (4) year college degree required.
- Seven (7) years of management experience in credit union/bank operations, with (4) years recent mid- senior level management experience. ATM, debit/credit card servicing, and/or electronic banking experience a plus.
- Three (3) years experience directly supervising other managers is required.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and assignments, meet tight deadlines, and coordinate and communicate effectively among widely-dispersed parties.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to represent the organization’s mission and work in all internal and external forums.
- Strong member service orientation and demonstrated skills in relationship management and cultivation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of state and federal regulations such as Reg. B, Reg. E, Reg. D, Reg. CC, Reg. Z, and the Bank Secrecy Act.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and other Office Suite products.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.