Nominations Sought for Chapter Excellence, Herb Wegner Memorial Awards
With deadlines scheduled for June, nominations are currently being accepted for the NWCUA’s Chapter Excellence Awards and the NCUF’s Herb Wegner Memorial Awards, honoring leaders in the movement on the local and national level.
April 17, 2012
The Northwest Credit Union Association’s (NWCUA’s) chapters do an outstanding job of bringing credit unions together in developing and implementing creative and beneficial programs for their members. The Chapter Excellence Award is a way to recognize the leaders in this effort for their contributions to the success of the credit union movement in the Northwest.
Chapters provide an opportunity for credit union directors, committee members, executives, and employees to meet and benefit from the networking, idea sharing, experience, and viewpoint of others. The Chapter Excellence Award honors chapters that excel in providing leadership, education, advocacy and philosophy in action at their meetings throughout the year.
New for this year’s awards, the Association is asking that nominations include photos of their best practices that will be displayed during the NWCUA Convention and Annual Business Meeting in Vancouver, Wash., in October, when the award will also be presented.
As part of the continued effort to support the work of the chapters, chapter leaders are also encouraged to plan on attending the 2012 Chapter Leader Workshop, which will be held prior to the start of the 2012 Convention on Oct. 1 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
“Many of you indicated that you would like the workshop held in conjunction with Convention,” said Kasey Rockwell, director of outreach programming for the NWCUA. “The workshop will be held on the Monday prior to Convention at the Vancouver Hilton, and we are bringing in a fun and energetic speaker for the workshop. We’re very excited about the opportunity for growth this represents for our chapters and their leaders.”
The Chapter Leader Workshop will be led by Holly Duckworth, an experienced meeting professional and business leader delivering powerful business strategy insight to organizations across the country. Her company, Leadership Solutions International, drives sustainable leadership, volunteer training and strategic planning for trade association and non-profit groups.
A webinar for chapter leaders is scheduled for May 22 from 2-4 p.m. More information on both events will be available soon on the NWCUA’s website.
NCUF Opens 2013 Herb Wegner Award Nominations
Credit union supporters are encouraged to nominate individuals and organizations for the 25th-annual Herb Wegner Memorial Awards, to be presented by the National Credit Union Foundation (NCUF). Winners will be honored at the NCUF’s awards dinner on February 25, 2013, in conjunction with the Credit Union National Association (CUNA) Governmental Affairs Conference (GAC) in Washington, D.C.
The Herb Wegner Memorial Awards are named in honor of late CUNA CEO Herb Wegner, whose innovative ideas and deeds revolutionized the ways that credit unions serve their communities. The awards carry on Wegner’s spirit of “innovative, creative, risk-taking” leadership.
“NCUF’s Wegner Awards turn 25 next year, and the caliber of recipients over the years has been truly remarkable,” said Josie Collins, NCUF director of donor relations and resource development. “We encourage credit union supporters from every state to nominate their best and brightest, as the awards are widely considered the highest national honors in the credit union movement.”
Nominations need to be made by Friday, June 29, for the following awards:
- The Individual Achievement Award honors an unsung hero for innovative concepts and/or accomplishments that have made a significant impact on the national and/or international credit union movements within the past 10 years—or have a significant potential impact now. Nominations must cite a specific subject of achievement. Examples include financial literacy, service to the underserved, alternatives to predatory lending and/or new products.
- The Outstanding Organization/Program Award honors an organization or program for innovative concepts and/or products or services that have made a significant impact with measured results on the national and/or international credit union movements.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award honors an individual who has dedicated his or her life to promoting the credit union philosophy of “People Helping People.” This person must have created innovative concepts and provided leadership that has made a significant and lasting impact on the national and/or international credit union movements.
Nominations can come from individuals and/or organizations. The following three steps are needed to make a nomination:
- Complete the Wegner Awards nomination form on the NCUF website.
- Gather at least five letters of recommendation citing examples of the nominee’s achievements relevant to the award criteria.
- Send the nomination form and recommendation letters electronically to the NCUF by June 29.
Questions about the Wegner Awards can be directed to Josie Collins at 800.356.9655, ext. 4374.
Questions? Contact Director of Outreach Programs Kasey Rockwell: 503.350.2217, email@example.com.