Consumer Loan Underwriter
March 16, 2012
Review and evaluate loan applications and related information and documentation to determine whether to approve, deny, or counter offer using strong analytic skills, sound loan underwriting principles and a thorough understanding of Credit Union policies and guidelines.
- Evaluate and decision a high volume of loan applications submitted through a variety of channels (i.e. in branch, on-line, over the phone and retail outlets).
- Decision loan requests using sound underwriting principles using established Credit Union policies and guidelines within stated parameters and authority.
- Actively engage with interviewers and borrowers to ensure information is accurate, decisions are timely and loans are constructed to meet the borrower’s needs while staying within acceptable risk tolerance.
- Evaluate complex and/or high risk loans to determine whether to approve, deny, counter offer or refer to an underwriter with higher authority for his or her review.
- Effectively communicate and annotate recommendations, observations and decisions.
- Analyze loan requests, make recommendations and offer solutions that are helpful to the borrower(s), protect the credit union and/or help educate Team Members.
- Correspond with loan interviewer and/or borrower(s) to answer questions or address concerns regarding the application process, information and decision.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of loan training.
- Perform monthly loan reviews and loan audits as assigned.
- Deepen member relationships by determining member needs and promoting and cross-selling SELCO companies’ products and services.
- Actively engage with people in a respectful and professional manner.
- Communicate with internal, external, and potential members in a friendly, professional manner in person, over the phone, and via e-mail.
- Adhere to federal and state regulations, credit union policies, and other compliance obligations.
- Consistently achieve stated goals.
- Participate in required meetings and training.
- Demonstrate leadership skills and maintain corporate values and mission statement.
- Represent the Credit Union with a high level of integrity and professionalism.
- Support Management and member decisions and goals in a positive, professional manner.
- Actively participate in security, robbery, disaster recovery and fire training.
- Actively contribute to Credit Union and department team goals and functions, including but not limited to, initiating resolution of observed or known issues concerning other departments and championing other departmental changes that will benefit the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and project a professional image when giving and taking information in writing, in person and over the phone.
- Sophisticated word processing and computer database skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with individuals and groups at all organization levels; ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of banking and general state and federal laws related to financial privacy, fair lending, collections, bankruptcy, workout, and foreclosure.
- Possess knowledge of loan product specific requirements.
- Ability to make sound, logical decisions based on loan policies and guidelines.
- Ability to read and analyze documents such as credit reports, tax documents, etc.
- Working knowledge of microcomputer operations, including knowledge of online computer system as it applies to departmental usage.
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks; good time-management, organizational, problem-prevention and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to recognize member financial needs and to effectively cross-sell Credit Union and CUSO products and services.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Strong analytical ability with active listening skills.
- Ability to work accurately with close attention to detail.
- Willingness to adapt to changing business needs and deadlines.
- Exhibit a professional, businesslike appearance and demeanor.
- Possess a work ethic that includes neatness, punctuality and accuracy.
- Ability to concentrate in environment with background noise.
- Ability to complete or resume tasks despite interruptions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent, and
- Two (2) years experience in consumer lending,
- Experience with consumer loan underwriting is preferred, and
- Must be bondable.
To learn more about the position and apply, visit www.selco.org. Applications can be returned to a SELCO branch or mailed to:
SELCO Community Credit Union, Attn: HR, PO BOX 7487, Eugene, OR 97401.
Posted in Article Post.