Advantis Credit Union Awards $51,000 in Grants to Local Non-Profits
December 1, 2011
December 1, 2011
In an effort to give back to the local community, Advantis Credit Union in September launched GROW: The Advantis Community Fund, creating a $50,000 fund to help local non-profits through grants of up to $10,000.
The fund awards money to programs promising long-term community benefits in the Portland, Ore., area. Funding priorities were given to organizations that serve underprivileged or at risk youth, community enhancement, education, and the arts.
No stranger to community service, Advantis has been recognized as one of the top 10 small companies in Oregon for supporting charitable projects in the community. Advantis has contributed $276,000 and over 800 volunteer hours to charitable causes since 2009.
The credit union is now not only using the its charitable fund to offer financial support but is using it to engage community members as well. The public was invited to vote on 13 semi-finalists to help Advantis determine which projects would be funded. After review by the selection committee and 12,700 public votes, eight non-profits were selected to receive an Advantis grant in the program’s inaugural year:
- CARES Northwest, received $3,741 to purchase educational materials for at risk families
- CASA for Children serving Multnomah and Washington County, received $6,300 to upgrade computers to improve service
- Central City Concern, received $5,000 to purchase vital medical equipment
- Exceed Enterprises, received $10,000 to create a special work readiness classroom for disabled adults
- Northwest Housing Alternatives (Annie Ross House), received $5,000 to provide emergency housing for 45 needy families
- Oregon Humane Society, received $5,000 to purchase medical equipment to treat sick animals
- Portland Police Bureau Sunshine Division, received $7,500 to purchase a freezer to feed more families
- SnowCap Community Charities, received $9,000 to purchase food preparation equipment to serve needy families
“The GROW name and logo represents our commitment to ‘seed’ projects that can be nurtured by the community to grow and benefit many people,” said Wendy Edwards, Advantis Vice President of Marketing & Human Resources. “All of these projects promise long term benefits to our local community.”
Advantis Credit Union, with more than $815 million in assets, is one of Oregon’s largest member-owned not-for-profit, financial cooperatives with over 43,000 members and five branches in the Portland metro area. Advantis is one of the oldest credit unions in Oregon, serving the Portland metro area for over 83 years.
Questions or Concerns? Contact Matt Halvorson, Anthem Editor: firstname.lastname@example.org.